Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Clarke’s deck shoes

Thanks for the replies chaps. Still looking though.

Has anybody noticed the number of manufacturers who make "deck shoes"? These days it's just a style of leisure shoe. I bought a pair of well known deck leisure shoes and they lasted all of six weeks!

I now own several pairs, the original ones were so good I bought some more, of Conker deck shoes and while a lot more expensive they are brilliant.

Because they are hand made to order you can choose what colours you want AND they can repair anything on the shoe. They also grip extremely well on my 36 year old GRP deck.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Has anybody noticed the number of manufacturers who make "deck shoes"? These days it's just a style of leisure shoe. I bought a pair of well known deck leisure shoes and they lasted all of six weeks!

I now own several pairs, the original ones were so good I bought some more, of Conker deck shoes and while a lot more expensive they are brilliant.

Because they are hand made to order you can choose what colours you want AND they can repair anything on the shoe. They also grip extremely well on my 36 year old GRP deck.
    Sandy, My conkers were extremely slippery on wet grass, what sole do you specify?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy52 View Post
    Sandy, My conkers were extremely slippery on wet grass, what sole do you specify?
    I have "Ilga Deck Shoe" on mine for the full range see the link below.

http://conkershoes.com/about-conker/shoe-sole-options/
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Thank you, that is a new sole material one to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post

£235 vs £50 for the Clarks, made in Vietnam. Nearly five times the price. It's a useful reminder of the benefits we get from mass production techniques combined with third world wages.

I bought some Gore Tex deck shoes reduced at Clarks Village, Street.
    They are comfortable but have a rubber 'mesh' sole which is ok onboard but if you ware them ashore, stones get stuck in the mesh!
    I guess that's why they were selling them off.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

I have a pair of "trainer" type Clarkes' and the are brilliant. Not seen them this year in the stores but they grip well, dry quickly and haven't "aged". I have a pair of Dubarry's I use for "walk ashore", smart enough but only wearable with socks now and nowhere grippy enough for a wet deck as the sole's gone hard. Sebagos are pretty reliable as are proper Timberland deckies, I bought mine if San Francisco and wore them to death. Timberland also do "leisure loafers", not good on wet decks.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

I bought a pair of Timberlands in 1993 in Barcelona they lasted 6 months, I returned them to the manufacturer to see if they were fakes, they returned them saying they were genuine Timberlands but had been in sea water so what did I expect? Needless to say I have never bought deck shoes over £60 since they the Timberlands were over £100 I try to get Clarke's when I can but M&S are ok as well.
    Mike

As I said, you have to get the "genuine" decks, not the "leisure loafers.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast