Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Using a yacht instead of a flat - settle an argument?

I've recently got a new job in Liverpool which is about a 90 minute drive from home. I don't intend to commute every day so I need to find an overnight base in Liverpool for 3 to 4 nights a week. I'm considering buying/ renting a small house or flat but I'm also wondering whether buying the yacht I've been thinking about for the last 20 years might be a good solution. Moored in Liverpool marina I'd be a shortish walk from work, and could even do a bit of evening racing & weekend cruising. My wife is starting to wonder whether I might be right but there's a concern that going back to the yacht on a rainy, windy winter night might not be the most inspiring way to relax after a stressful day at work. Struggling to the shower block on a miserable morning might also be a bit much.
    Has anyone done anything similar, or got any views/ ideas?

Default Re: Using a yacht instead of a flat - settle an argument?

Quote Originally Posted by Carcassi View Post
    I've recently got a new job in Liverpool which is about a 90 minute drive from home. I don't intend to commute every day so I need to find an overnight base in Liverpool for 3 to 4 nights a week. I'm considering buying/ renting a small house or flat but I'm also wondering whether buying the yacht I've been thinking about for the last 20 years might be a good solution. Moored in Liverpool marina I'd be a shortish walk from work, and could even do a bit of evening racing & weekend cruising. My wife is starting to wonder whether I might be right but there's a concern that going back to the yacht on a rainy, windy winter night might not be the most inspiring way to relax after a stressful day at work. Struggling to the shower block on a miserable morning might also be a bit much.
    Has anyone done anything similar, or got any views/ ideas?
    I tried something vaguely similar when a student a Bangor Uni where I already had a boat. Didn't work for for me. Liverpool Marina has fairly decent facilities but racing round the cans on a boat you live on won't bring home much silverware. The marina is also a deceptively long, and in winter a bleak, walk to the city centre, if that's where you're working. If you sacrifice sailing ambitions (very time limited access) then Albert Dock is a more realistic option for city centre living.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 30-06-19 at 20:14.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Sounds to me like the perfect solution.

Well if you want to liveaboard, the yacht will be full of STUFF.
    If you want to race at wknds, that's not so good..

Heating and condensation will dominate your lives..

Does the marina accept liveaboards? Unlikely. They might possibly turn a blind eye if you are lucky..

Sounds like you know it can be a misery sometimes..

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    Well if you want to liveaboard, the yacht will be full of STUFF.
    If you want to race at wknds, that's not so good..

Heating and condensation will dominate your lives..

Does the marina accept liveaboards? Unlikely. They might possibly turn a blind eye if you are lucky..

Sounds like you know it can be a misery sometimes..
    3 days a week = Liveaboard ??????

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    3 days a week = Liveaboard ??????
    3-4 nights, may be ok

What size boat, I tried it 20 years ago after splitting from my wife. I tried it on a 26 foot sailing boat in a yacht club on a trot mooring. It was the most depressing, lonely thing I have ever done. Might be different in a marina on a large boat with lekky and water and people. If you like boats do it

Thanks for these replies. Yes I'm definitely not planning to liveaboard and if I get involved in racing it's more likely to be on board someone else's boat I imagine. I'll be working on the Uni of Liv Campus and should have parking so I suppose I could drive it when the weather's miserable. Never visited the marina so I'm not sure of the setup. I think Albert Dock is run by the same organisation? Location is probably more convenient, but does it have any facilities?

@38mess Yes, bit concerned about the loneliness possibility. I was thinking minimum 36' and with all mod cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Carcassi View Post
    @38mess Yes, bit concerned about the loneliness possibility. I was thinking minimum 36' and with all mod cons.
    You won't be lonely for long on that :-). I did it in January-may. So the long dark nights with no money and no where to go killed it for me. I think a marina is a great social place, there are usually a few livaboards lurking around wanting to drink your beer and eat your grub.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast