Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Using a yacht instead of a flat - settle an argument?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    But that's exactly the sort of thing you need to be doing much more to live aboard (full or part time), rather than occasional leisure use.
    The OP is talking about using a boat for staying overnight during the working week.
    I was pointing out that this is significantly different to your typical 24/7 liveaboard.
    For example one would probably take all the laundry home at weekends. Possibly along with some bedding to air.
    It also means your boat does not stand out in the marina due to having laundry on the line whenever it's not raining.
    The flip side is that you are not around during the day to open all the hatches if the weather's nice.
    I've known contract workers live in canal boats, caravans, even unconverted white vans during the week.

I also know a few people who work away from home who've bought flats or houses for the purpose. You can get a couple of lodgers to pay the mortgage, the bonus being you don't have to spend the weekend with them. Not so easy in today's market in the South.

It can all make your tax a bit 'interesting' though.

BTW, somebody suggested you couldn't do this and go racing effectively. Sunstone anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post

... You're on a boat, you expect to wear a fleece or something in the evenings.

Hmmm, you might, but I expect to be as comfortable on my boat as I am in our house! There's no need to slum it with modern boats and modern technology - provided you are prepared to pay the energy bills....

I lived on board for a couple of years. Had a 36' 1980s cruiser-racer with electricity though no hot water. It did have blown air heating, but I found it was alright to have a conventional electrical oil radiator, the heat built up quickly in the saloon where I lived, and then I took the radiator with me into the aft cabin for bed. The forecabin became very cold but that was fine as I didn't live there, just used it for storing some bits and bobs.
    Showering was a pain as the water was cold, but was bearable. Boiling the kettle for shaving etc was fine.
    I didn't live any more frugally than I do when at home, but still didn't find any problem when I decided I wanted to go for a sail. Clothes all lived in the wardrobe aft, and the food packed down into the usual places. Fridge was essential. Other than that the only thing I appreciated was a phone with enough data that I could make a wifi hotspot for the laptop and stream movies/music.
    I would say go for it, it was a great experience and I loved the freedom and space. Going sailing on a whim was definitely doable, took maybe 10 minutes to make sure the washing up was done, unplug the electricity and cast off (if you're just heading out for an afternoon potter than how much are you expecting the boat to get thrown about??). Worst bit was the water tank running dry in the evening when it was snowing, and having to go out and hook up the hose...

I do what the OP is asking about. I have an old 28í boat on a swinging ball, and have done almost 2 years of 3-4 nights a week.
    I manage with minimal heating, no shore power, no refrigeration and a cooker. I shower at work, breakfast mainly on the boat and work late in the winter because itís cold. Iíve dug snow out of my dinghy, gone for the odd sail and got through a large amount of podcasts, audiobooks and Netflix.
    It is a cold, miserable impecunious existence and Iíve been told Iím one of the toughest people one of my colleagues has ever met. Iím not so sure but I get what he means. My existence is not for everyone. But as someone who enjoys their own company it works for me. But itís not for everyone and no one should ever consider living aboard as an easy option. Condensation and cold are your constant enemies, as are the growing to do lists for the boat (no surprise there) and the toll on relationships from living away. I couldnít do this without the support of my family, and you shouldnít expect their endless patience.

As I said earlier we often live on board for two or three days over the winter. Even in the coldest weather a 3KW heater and / or our Ebber blown fan heater keep conditions toasty. I also run a dehumidifier overnight. The showers are piping hot. OK, its a 55 foot yacht so there is a lot of volume, but it is comfortable, toasty and cosy. As I also said earlier, if you want comfort you need to think abount adequate heating and adequate power to make it work (with an Ebber thats not a problem, just the expense of installation). And, yes you can definitely go sailing. The boat needs to be kpet organised and ready for sea, but we do often.

i accept I am lucky. I wouldnt want to live on a 30 foot yacht, but I know many do. I have all the conveniences of a small apartment, including hot water on tap, washing machine, tumble dryer, etc and it is very comfortable all year.

As I said earlier have no illusions, it is all about how much comfort discomfort you are willing to accept and there are some very good pointers on here what is needed to make it as comfortable as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ip485 View Post
    As I said earlier we often live on board for two or three days over the winter. Even in the coldest weather a 3KW heater and / or our Ebber blown fan heater keep conditions toasty. I also run a dehumidifier overnight. The showers are piping hot. OK, its a 55 foot yacht so there is a lot of volume, but it is comfortable, toasty and cosy. As I also said earlier, if you want comfort you need to think abount adequate heating and adequate power to make it work (with an Ebber thats not a problem, just the expense of installation). And, yes you can definitely go sailing. The boat needs to be kpet organised and ready for sea, but we do often.

i accept I am lucky. I wouldnt want to live on a 30 foot yacht, but I know many do. I have all the conveniences of a small apartment, including hot water on tap, washing machine, tumble dryer, etc and it is very comfortable all year.

As I said earlier have no illusions, it is all about how much comfort discomfort you are willing to accept and there are some very good pointers on here what is needed to make it as comfortable as possible.
    Look up tea light heater..

You are doing the right thing, or at least what I would do.

Kind Regards

Skip.

I use the boat all year often staying 3 nights in the winter.

I agree with most that has been said. I won’t repeat it. I would add:

I run the dehumidifier 24/7 in winter. That way I leave the beds made up and clothes in the boat so I can use it spontaneously.

It costs about £30 a month in electricity to run. Marinas are not allowed to mark up electricity costs.

Get a desiccant dehumidifier. This is important. They are more expensive to buy and run but they give out some background heat and work in low temperatures - condenser ones don’t. They are quiet, condenser ones make a racket. And finally they don’t catch fire which far too many condenser ones do.

Insulate the ducting on the blown air heating. Makes a huge difference to getting the heat to the ends of the boat. I have a 5kW one and it is not quite enough on the coldest days. I top it up with a oil radiators. My 40ft mobo has a lot of space and a lot of glass though. If I was re fitting the heating I’d fit two 3kw ones. That would give extra heat with both on, and it would mean a jumper day rather than an arctic suit day if one packs up.

Keep rock salt on board. When it freezes overnight it can help you get onto the pontoon safely.

I don’t have gas onboard. On my old boat I did and you need propane not butane in winter if you do. I much prefer electric cooking BTW.

LED lighting. Mix warm white in the seating areas with cool over the galley and in the heads. Bright yet cosy, not gloomy.

Get a battery charger that can be left on 24/7 if you don’t have one.

Keep your lifejackets in the car or take it to the pub and wear it down the pontoon. If like me you won’t be disciplined about this buy a jacket with a built in buoyancy aid. Better than nothing.

If there isn’t a ladder near your boat (really near) rig one from the boat if your ladder can’t be deployed from the water (mine can). If you fall in in the dark in winter you will probably die even with a lifejacket on if you don’t have a ladder.

Oh and I forget to say I love staying on the boat in winter. Go for it!
    Last edited by Elessar; 03-07-19 at 20:15.

Some very good points Elessar about the lighting ambience and ladders.

I had a Jag25 in Liverpool marina for a couple of years. Facilities are just OK. Toilets/showers could do with an upgrade but they are manageable. Bar and restaurannt are quite good and food is reasonably priced and they also have Sky Sports. Also, lots of narrow boats in Liverpool Marina, which may be wirth cosidering.
    Sailing out of the marina is restricted to about 2 hours each side of HW but when you are coming back in, you need to be no more than half an hour after HW or you'll be dealing with a minimum 3 knot flow past the entrance lock. So, in truth, you're lucky to get a 2 hour sail even less on neaps!
    Enjoy your sailing,
    Jaguar 25

Great thread and give food for thought.

We are getting a house built slightly inland from Nazare, Portugal. We can afford to start it but will need to sell our 3 bed Nazare apartment to complete the build.

We intend to live on our 43' Jeanneau Deck Saloon for probably some 9months while new build is complete.

Boat is in Nazare Marina with electricity.

Temp in winter gets as low as 6 degC along Silver Coast, Portugal. But can be as high as 28-30 deg in Summer (atlantic breeze keeps temps reasonable).

Anyone any experience of being a livaboard in this temp range as had not considered any problems we might encounter (except getting SWMBOs clothing wardrobe on board!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast