Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,023

    Default Re: Using a yacht instead of a flat - settle an argument?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    . Marinas are not allowed to mark up electricity costs.
    !
    No, they're not

    However they are allowed to add a per kw/h service charge

    This may be getting on for as much again as the supply cost

    Which rather defeats the object of the exercise

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    River Itchen, Southampton
    Posts
    6,900

    Default Re: Using a yacht instead of a flat - settle an argument?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bru View Post
    No, they're not

    However they are allowed to add a per kw/h service charge

    This may be getting on for as much again as the supply cost

    Which rather defeats the object of the exercise
    Ok. I thought the service charge had to be flat rate not per kW. Happy to be corrected if I’m wrong.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,023

    Default Re: Using a yacht instead of a flat - settle an argument?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Ok. I thought the service charge had to be flat rate not per kW. Happy to be corrected if I’m wrong.
    That was the faux pas in the legislation, it was badly worded leaving a loophole

    The upside is that the electricity charge has to be what the marina pays which is much lower than the domestic rate so that even with a swingeing service charge (ours is almost as much again) the overall rate isn't that much higher than we'd pay domestically

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    River Itchen, Southampton
    Posts
    6,900

    Default Re: Using a yacht instead of a flat - settle an argument?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bru View Post
    That was the faux pas in the legislation, it was badly worded leaving a loophole

    The upside is that the electricity charge has to be what the marina pays which is much lower than the domestic rate so that even with a swingeing service charge (ours is almost as much again) the overall rate isn't that much higher than we'd pay domestically
    Thanks.
    I Just read this. Clear as mud.
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-publi...updateoct05pdf

  5. #45
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Using a yacht instead of a flat - settle an argument?

    I just wanted to say thanks for these really helpful responses. My conclusion is that I'll start with a cheap hotel room, then look at buying a flat. Hopefully I'll find time to get involved in some evening yacht racing. Life is just too complicated, I think, to add in a new family member.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,023

    Default Re: Using a yacht instead of a flat - settle an argument?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Thanks.
    I Just read this. Clear as mud.
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-publi...updateoct05pdf
    Innit just

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    River Itchen, Southampton
    Posts
    6,900

    Default Re: Using a yacht instead of a flat - settle an argument?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carcassi View Post
    I just wanted to say thanks for these really helpful responses. My conclusion is that I'll start with a cheap hotel room, then look at buying a flat. Hopefully I'll find time to get involved in some evening yacht racing. Life is just too complicated, I think, to add in a new family member.
    Shame. Here’s an alternative. https://m.spareroom.co.uk/
    When you buy the flat you can flip from tenant to landlord.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    454

    Default Re: Using a yacht instead of a flat - settle an argument?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carcassi View Post
    I just wanted to say thanks for these really helpful responses. My conclusion is that I'll start with a cheap hotel room, then look at buying a flat. Hopefully I'll find time to get involved in some evening yacht racing. Life is just too complicated, I think, to add in a new family member.
    My son rents his two spare rooms for £28 per night (each not for both) if that is of interest. He is in Wavertree, about 3 miles from Liverpool city centre.
    Enjoy your sailing,
    Jaguar 25

  9. #49
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    36,763

    Default Re: Using a yacht instead of a flat - settle an argument?

    I've used spareroom.co.uk to find digs when working away.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
    Posts
    1,189

    Default Re: Using a yacht instead of a flat - settle an argument?

    Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation. You'd be amazed at how fresh and dry you can keep a live aboard boat if it is well enough ventilated.
    Especially ventilate above the cooker and in the shower.

    Do make sure that the bilges are dry though. And fix any leaky windows etc.

    Otherwise you will have to spend tons of carbon running dehumidifiers. And if you do dehumidify, don't ventilate.

    I have never personally owned one in a boat, but woodburners are fantastic aboard, creating vast amounts of dry heat and drawing fresh air in to keep things sweet. I do have a Webasto and these are brilliant and civilised, but much more complex as previously mentioned.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to