Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone any experience with Commoderizer stopping calcium build up in marine toilets

On the Cruisers forum I came across mention of a system for treating the inlet water for salt water flushed toilets. In essence it chlorinates the water as it goes through the strainer
    The company's website is https://www.commoderizer.com/
    As someone who regularly adds hydrochloric acid to the toilet to reduce/clear the inevitable calcium build up the theory seems sound

Has anyone fitted this to their own boat who might share their experience?

Thanks

TudorSailor (when no commercial link etc)

Default Re: Anyone any experience with Commoderizer stopping calcium build up in marine toile

I'm not persuaded that a build-up of calcium is "inevitable". Sufficient pumping is all that's needed. Jabsco recommend a minimum of seven pump strokes per metre of outlet tube. I do a little more, and now have no problems.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Default Re: Anyone any experience with Commoderizer stopping calcium build up in marine toile

Trouble is there is a conflict if you have a holding tank. Minimise flow to keep the tank availiable as long as possible, maximise it to keep carbonate salts to a minimum.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    I'm not persuaded that a build-up of calcium is "inevitable". Sufficient pumping is all that's needed. Jabsco recommend a minimum of seven pump strokes per metre of outlet tube. I do a little more, and now have no problems.
    We have a Jabsco electric toilet and so do not control the flush volume. We could press the buttin twice but as Vyv says, double flushing may reduce the calcium but will result in the holding tank filling twice as fast!

TudorSailor

Ah well, if you have an electric toilet and use a holding tank, you have circumstances which you did not state in your original post. Tough!

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Quite correct, I always flush fully and haven't had problems with Calcium build up in pipes. I'm fortunate to have 2 heads and only pee in the forward one (no holding tank) followed by 24 strokes. Aft head goes to a holding tank and does get the odd treatment with slightly diluted hydrochloric acid. Forward head has a T from basin outlet and gets fresh water and sterilised every couple of months.

Different story with only one head or if both fitted with holding tanks.

I must admit that $200 for an inline block holder and $99 for tablets seems a bit steep. Obviously not bleach if they are addressing Calcium build up. I imagine it's a slow release acidic material, quite a few options giving an acidic environment. I can't imagine any costing $99 for tablets but it isn't something I've ever investigated.

Damn sight cheaper to flush with cheap vinegar every now and then!

Anyhoo, what is the chemistry of calcium buildup in a loo? I've always wondered where it came from.

Agree that extra flushing is one way to reduce calcium build up.

I used to flush with vinegar regularly, but am now convinced that it speeded up damage and hardening of the rubber internal fittings to our Blakes's pump. I used the replacement/service pack recently - not cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post

Anyhoo, what is the chemistry of calcium buildup in a loo? I've always wondered where it came from.
    I can’t remember the exact chemistry, but essentially it is reaction between urine and seawater. If you flush sufficiently then that reaction does not happen in your outlet pipe.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post

People refer to it as 'calcium' but in fact they are insoluble salts, comprising magnesium hydroxide, calcium carbonate, calcium sulfate and others. It seems the proportions of each can vary according to several factors such as temperature and the way they are formed from seawater.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast