Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Anyone any experience with Commoderizer stopping calcium build up in marine toile

I have yet to find anything as cheap or efficient at removing deposits from water based systems as Citric Acid.

Based in powder form, and harmless to skin etc, you just get a 1kg bag for a couple of quid and dissolve it in hot water, flush it and leave for a few days.

It's even food grade, at least before use...

Default Re: Anyone any experience with Commoderizer stopping calcium build up in marine toile

Quote Originally Posted by Mistroma View Post
    Aft head goes to a holding tank and does get the odd treatment with slightly diluted hydrochloric acid.
    By "slightly diluted" do you mean you use a whole 25-litre drum of the stuff, as available from agricultural and janitorial suppliers?

Sorry if this is a dumb question - I know nothing about the stuff, but recently had to unclog my holding tank, which has no bypass.

The inside of the holding tank looks minging, and I doubt it has ever been cleaned in the boat's previous 25 years.

The cause of the blockage was this calcium buildup mixed with shit. I can only think that the boat has recently been sitting unused for 18 months, for the first time in its life, and this calcite (or whatever it is) built up and became dislodged when we started using it again.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    I'm not persuaded that a build-up of calcium is "inevitable". Sufficient pumping is all that's needed. Jabsco recommend a minimum of seven pump strokes per metre of outlet tube. I do a little more, and now have no problems.
    Ditto. This works. We've been doing it since we had a nasty blockage in 2017 and I've just replaced the toilet diverter valve on our boat. Upon inspection of the hoses I was delighted to see that there was no calcium buildup whatsoever, just a thin layer of slime much like what one finds in the engine raw water hoses.

The holding tank capacity issue can be bypassed if you can manage to hold your pee while pooing. 💩

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12