Default RCC. Admiral of the River Cruise Weekend.

As you all know the Medway has a maritime history going back since time immemorial.
    Every year the Mayor of Medway, who is also the Admiral of the River is taken on a "Beating of the Bounds" by Rochester Cruising Club in association with the Rochester Oyster and Floating Fishery. (ROFF).
    https://www.kentandessex-ifca.gov.uk...ating-fishery/
    This involves a cruise on the Saturday to the west end of the boundary at the Hawkestone up near Maidstone and on the Sunday out to the wreck of the Montgomery lying just off Sheerness.
    Day starts with an Admirals Court in the old Rochester Guildhall.Court has been held unbroken for several hundred years.

The entire court then procedes round to the RCC clubhouse.

We then go up river to the western boundary marked by the Hawkstone.This marks the boundary with Maidstone.
    Our Newest Medway crossing

On Sunday cruise heads downsteam out to Sheerness and the estuary.

Two wreaths are laid one at the wreck of HMS BULWARK and another at the wreck of SS Richard Montgomery.
    Last edited by oldgit; 02-07-19 at 07:33.

Default Re: RCC. Admiral of the River Cruise Weekend.

brilliant pictures, thanks!

More pix to follow.
    The SS Richard Montgomery will be very familiar to any visitors from the Thames, handy reminder to turn right into the Merdeway.
    For anybody interested in WW1 maritime history.Total loss of two ships.
    HMS Bulwark
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Bulwark_(1899)

HMS Irene.
    http://www.rainham-history.co.uk/art...er-of-may-1915
    Last edited by oldgit; 02-07-19 at 08:35.

A splendid sight as you all trundled past.

Hi NF.
    Thanks for the wave.
    Off anywhere with the boat soon ?

Yes, off on the 14th for a week, probably up the east coast this time, was going to change the oil last weekend but decided that I'd probably melt and end up being pumped overboard......
    I have that pleasure to look forward to this Saturday, only fifty something litres to change, wrestle with two large oil filters, one cunningly placed so it's a curl up in a horrific, muscle twitching positon to get to it, I can almost hear the groans and curses now.....praying to the Engine Gods that the blimmin things comes undone without too much screaming...
    Last edited by Nauti Fox; 02-07-19 at 13:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Nauti Fox View Post
    Yes, off on the 14th for a week, probably up the east coast this time, was going to change the oil last weekend but decided that I'd probably melt and end up being pumped overboard......
    I have that pleasure to look forward to this Saturday, only fifty something litres to change, wrestle with two large oil filters, one cunningly placed so it's a curl up in a horrific, muscle twitching positon to get to it, I can almost hear the groans and curses now.....praying to the Engine Gods that the blimmin things comes undone without too much screaming...
    One of our members has pair of 385HP Volvos, previously he always hand tightened but used a very useful filter removal tool to undo.
    Problem was VP no longer stamp a big nut shape in bottom of their oil filter for this engine,rendering the tool useless.
    Both his chain and strap filters were unable to get leverage in the rather confined space on one engine.