Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Jubilee Sailing Trust urgent appeal

I'm reluctant to donate to a charity that pays two of its staff more than I get, especially when they seem to have cocked it up.
    The accounts for y/e 3/17 can be found online.

As for the Royals, that Duke of York is the Patron.

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    The appeal is up to almost £350,000. Let’s hope they get somewhere near their (challenging) target.
    If the JST gets its million pounds, what are they planning to do to make sure that future revenue is enough to support them? I had a look, and at the moment they charge £200 per person per day, which is roughly the same as Cunard charge for a short voyage in the cheapest cabin with a window and half what they charge for a long trip.

I've nothing against them and their aims seem laudable, but their financial problems seem structural.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    If the JST gets its million pounds, what are they planning to do to make sure that future revenue is enough to support them? I had a look, and at the moment they charge £200 per person per day, which is roughly the same as Cunard charge for a short voyage in the cheapest cabin with a window and half what they charge for a long trip.

I've nothing against them and their aims seem laudable, but their financial problems seem structural.
    When you say they charge £200 per person per day, that’s NOT what it says on their website.

This is what they state

“Voyages cost the Jubilee Sailing Trust £200 per person per day, but our fundraising heavily subsidises this cost for all crew members. If you can, please consider making a donation or helping to fundraise towards the full cost of your voyage. This enables us to continue to offer bursaries for those that are disabled and less able to afford such an inclusive adventure afloat.”

Quite different to stating that they charge £200 per person per week.

The term "unrestricted funds" worries me a bit.
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewfromFal View Post
    Which is?
    Mismanagement of a charity.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    I'm reluctant to donate to a charity that pays two of its staff more than I get, especially when they seem to have cocked it up.
    The accounts for y/e 3/17 can be found online.
    yes, they have two staff that are paid in the range £70k to £100k. These staff are not sailing the ships.
    Though I think the JST's activities are great, I also find that to be unacceptable. Like many, many charities these days, failing to recognise that the huge majority of their clients and donors can't aspire to such riches.

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    When you say they charge £200 per person per day, that’s NOT what it says on their website.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Giblets View Post
    The term "unrestricted funds" worries me a bit.
    It simply means the funds are not ringfenced for a particular purpose and can be used for any purpose compatible with the aims of the charity and the law

Restricted funds are funds that can only be expended per the terms under which they were received (e.g. a bequest ""for a new xxx" can only be spent on a new xxx, not for other purposes. A right pain in the charity trustees bottom if a new xxx is not needed!)

Quote Originally Posted by scrambledegg View Post
    yes, they have two staff that are paid in the range £70k to £100k. .
    And how much would you expect to pay full time senior staff in the real world? (I am assuming these are senior staff salaries)

The reality is that once beyond a certain point most charities have to enter the employment market to hire expertise that cannot be provided by volunteers (either because of the level of knowledge and/or qualifications required is simply not available in the volunteer pool or because the job is full time and few volunteers are willing to make that level of commitment week in, week out)

£70k per annum is not, in this day and age, an especially high salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bru View Post

£70k per annum is not, in this day and age, an especially high salary.
    Which is true.
    But a turnover of about £5 million is not an especially big business either.
    And having a crisis with a shortfall of £350k or whatever the number is, is not an especially valuable talent.

They spent £550k to generate £4.5M or so of donations etc.

How many sailing charities are there? ISTM to be a crowded pitch, would it not be more efficient to have fewer, more efficient charities?
    Just in Disabled sailing, you've got RYA Sailability, the DSA, The RORO mob, Challenger this, various charitable arms of random sailing clubs, the popular front of Judea etc etc.
    OTOH, the JST is a good concept. Decent boats, mixing disabled and able, doing decently aspirational stuff all around. Plus it would seem they have trustees who in the past have got their chequebook out on some scale. Presumably these are people to whom a £70k salary is piddling.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    They spent £550k to generate £4.5M or so of donations etc.
    That is a pretty good return!

Sadly, the reality for charities these days is that you have to spend to get.

As for the shortfall / crisis, I'd want to know a lot more detail before condemning the charity management

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast