Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Jubilee Sailing Trust urgent appeal

Quote Originally Posted by Bru View Post
    As for the shortfall / crisis, I'd want to know a lot more detail before condemning the charity management
    Indeed, but I would also want to know a lot more detail before propping them up.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Bru View Post
    That is a pretty good return!

Sadly, the reality for charities these days is that you have to spend to get.

As for the shortfall / crisis, I'd want to know a lot more detail before condemning the charity management
    As a comparison I offer the Andrew Simpson Foundation, which raised £700k at acost of £17.8k, which is 2.5% cost compared to 12.2%.
    https://beta.charitycommission.gov.u...153060&subid=0

We have 168,000 charities in the UK, 23,576 with activities related to disability.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    As a comparison I offer the Andrew Simpson Foundation, which raised £700k at acost of £17.8k, which is 2.5% cost compared to 12.2%.
    https://beta.charitycommission.gov.u...153060&subid=0
    Well done them (and i do mean that)

However ...

They are a relatively new kid on the block currently benefiting from a) a high publicity profile, b) a group of willing and able volunteers with appropriate know how etc and c) a significant relatively well to do target audience for fund raising efforts

Come back in ten, twenty, thirty years time when Andrew Simpson is no longer fresh in people's minds and hearts and see how they're doing

Plus, raising £750k for a popular appeal is one thing, raising more than 5 times that, year in, year out, is a whole different ball game

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    We have 168,000 charities in the UK, 23,576 with activities related to disability.
    We have far too many registered "charities" in the UK, many of which aren't really charities at all (and now, if newly started, would not be allowed to register as such - i do not include JST or ASSF in that number though)

But I'm not sure what the point is that your making?

It's great when charities can achieve their aims without employing staff, ideally that's what any responsible charity trustee would like to see, but whilst some can, some can't

In any case, I'm afraid you've misinterpreted the headline figures you linked to, you need to go to the annual report (and it helps to have been on the finance committee of a large charity for several years, i know where the money is buried )

The £17.8k spent on raising funds does not include any part of the wages and salaries for the full time staff members (currently five, may have been less in 2017). That's (a very creditable i must say) £82,000 in the last reporting year (2017)

I haven't time to work it out right now but i suspect you'll find the JST figures aren't all that different, certainly not proportionally

I wish them well, but am concerned that they have set their sights to raise a huge amount of cash in a very short time-frame.

My loyalty is with another sailing organisation doing similar work otherwise I would have blown the cobwebs off my wallet and passed some cash over.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.
    Gib'Sea 96 owner

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I wish them well, but am concerned that they have set their sights to raise a huge amount of cash in a very short time-frame. .
    It's a known and often effective fund raising tactic. A dramatic crisis appeal for a one off headline grabbing amount of money gets more traction than repeatedly going back to handout well for more modest amounts

The JST situation may be an actual crisis of course but often these "crisis" appeals are really nothing of the sort

And it's a dog eat dog world when it comes to charity fund raising these days. Too many organisations chasing a finite pot of money

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    Exactly. Donation made. Why are folks so eager to say who else should donate? I hope they’ve given a few £ themselves.

The appeal is up to almost £350,000. Let’s hope they get somewhere near their (challenging) target.
    £650,000 now.

OK, you cynics...
    They've raised the £1m, so the disabled can continue to enjoy the sea. (I'm sure they could still do with more donations, though)

Quote Originally Posted by iLens View Post
    They've raised the £1m, so the disabled can continue to enjoy the sea. (I'm sure they could still do with more donations, though)
    Good for them. Now let's hope that they can find a sustainable business model so that the million quid isn't wasted.

PS Minor point ... "disabled people" or "people with disabilities", but not "the disabled", please.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Good for them. Now let's hope that they can find a sustainable business model so that the million quid isn't wasted.

PS Minor point ... "disabled people" or "people with disabilities", but not "the disabled", please.
    Flying birds have no master

I refer you to "Riding for the disabled", "The disabled photographers' society" and "The disabled living society", among others.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast