Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Autohelm 4000 + moody 34

Would also be simple to check all is well with the control box. Unrig it and hold it in your hand, then tilt it appropriately to simulate a sudden heel.

There's a gimballed flux gate compass inside. It could be a problem if it's stuck.

I have a tiller pilot. It sounds an alarm if the tiller arm is pushed over on full deflection, and the boat isn't responding, typically if I've taken it off the tiller without pressing standby. Perhaps your wheel motor could be responsible for a similar effect if the mechanism is slipping somehow?

The 4000 course computer and software are fairly basic compared to more modern models. Our Marcon 34 came with a 4000 and wheel pilot, and we had similar issues, but replacing it with the Evo 100 unit with wheel pilot has massively improved performance. Changing to the model with below deck ram would probably be even better

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
    The 4000 course computer and software are fairly basic compared to more modern models. Our Marcon 34 came with a 4000 and wheel pilot, and we had similar issues, but replacing it with the Evo 100 unit with wheel pilot has massively improved performance. Changing to the model with below deck ram would probably be even better
    That's interesting Graham, did you just replace the head unit and keep the existing wheel pilot drive?

We have a Westerly Tempest 31 with an ST4000 / ram on the tiller. We have found exactly the same symptoms - very frustrating. I think we will be upgrading to one of the new ones this Winter

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    I sail on a moody 34 equipped with an ancient autohelm 4000 driving a belt on the wheel.

The autohelm works great whilst motoring, but fails when sailing - boat heals over the slightest amount, an alarm in the autopilot sounds and the system stops trying to steer & the boat rounds up.

Is this something which a newer (possibly quadrant driven) autohelm would cure?

Am used to a folkboat plus navik servopendulum which worked a charm. This set up is proving irksome.

Thanks
    Is the control box fitted at the correct orientation? Because it has a gimballed compass inside there is a limited angle at which it can be mounted.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    That's interesting Graham, did you just replace the head unit and keep the existing wheel pilot drive?
    I replaced the lot but kept the old wheel drive as a spare.

Today, in a bit of a lumpy sea off Salcombe we were on a dead run in about 7kts wind. I goosewinged the Genoa without a pole and set the autopilot to Windvane mode. The pilot managed to steer to keep the Genoa flying really well.
    Last edited by GrahamD; 06-07-19 at 21:37.

sounds like a problem with the fluxgate compass gimbles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12