Default New to Mersea Quarters.......at night.

Firstly, I'm not going to attempt this tonight as I'm just too tired to go for it but, would it be madness to attempt to leave Tollesbury on a rising tide in darkness, navigate out of the leavings and then back into Mersea Quarters solo to pick up a mooring until the morning? I've never done it and it's worrying me more than perhaps it should.

I know the banks shift around a lot and because I haven't even done it in daylight (I usually just head out past the Nass and go), I won't be going for it tonight. I just wondered from those that know Mersea Quarters if it would be tricky or easy as pie.

Thanks, James

Default Re: New to Mersea Quarters.......at night.

I've left Tollesbury in darkness and it was a total nightmare, but that was in September and the nights are not fully dark now. I have anchored off Mersea Island east of the Nass in a northerly overnight, which was fine and might be easier than looking for a mooring.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I've never understood why anyone goes to Tollesbury in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    I've left Tollesbury in darkness and it was a total nightmare, but that was in September and the nights are not fully dark now. I have anchored off Mersea Island east of the Nass in a northerly overnight, which was fine and might be easier than looking for a mooring.
    Thanks John. The total nightmare is no surprise. I'm safely tucked up now, glad I didn't take the risk.

Once upon a time I got a fancy to have a night sail. Talking to Roy who keep their boat at Tollesbury he fancied it as well, so it being a nice warm summer's evening we decide we would have a meal on TG on the mooring in Salcote Creek and at about midnight head from the Nass to Shotley. Plans declined as thunderstorms descended so when we left at midnight although the storms had passed, it was blacker than ink. Exiting Salcote there is a bit of a neck at the head of the creek and in a wind direction, it can be narrow. In daylight, no worries; when inky black not comfortable especially if there is a empty buoy where it might dangle a couple of mooring strops. But ok. Well ..... until no Nass light (we discovered the next day it had been removed for service). Couldn't see the Nass at all, nor any of the laterals which at that time were unlit. By chance we espied one of the red cans and deliberately cut out of the Quarters into the river. Quite pleased frankly. It was at that time the darkest I have known and not pleasant. But later the cloud lifted and the rest of the passage was 'not really dark'. Mind you putting a reef in at night time is not the quickest thing we'd done.

But stopping the meandering, you might like to look at the downloads on: http://www.crossingthethamesestuary.com/page29.html Scroll down and you will find Mersea Quarters (v.detailed) ditto the Leavings and South Channel. The Quarters did change in 2016/2017 but remains since then the same. On a moonlit night it would be fine, indeed enchanting. Dark and v.windy, I would stay in bed. But I've always been a wimp.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    Once upon a time I got a fancy to have a night sail. Talking to Roy who keep their boat at Tollesbury he fancied it as well, so it being a nice warm summer's evening we decide we would have a meal on TG on the mooring in Salcote Creek and at about midnight head from the Nass to Shotley. Plans declined as thunderstorms descended so when we left at midnight although the storms had passed, it was blacker than ink. Exiting Salcote there is a bit of a neck at the head of the creek and in a wind direction, it can be narrow. In daylight, no worries; when inky black not comfortable especially if there is a empty buoy where it might dangle a couple of mooring strops. But ok. Well ..... until no Nass light (we discovered the next day it had been removed for service). Couldn't see the Nass at all, nor any of the laterals which at that time were unlit. By chance we espied one of the red cans and deliberately cut out of the Quarters into the river. Quite pleased frankly. It was at that time the darkest I have known and not pleasant. But later the cloud lifted and the rest of the passage was 'not really dark'. Mind you putting a reef in at night time is not the quickest thing we'd done.

But stopping the meandering, you might like to look at the downloads on: http://www.crossingthethamesestuary.com/page29.html Scroll down and you will find Mersea Quarters (v.detailed) ditto the Leavings and South Channel. The Quarters did change in 2016/2017 but remains since then the same. On a moonlit night it would be fine, indeed enchanting. Dark and v.windy, I would stay in bed. But I've always been a wimp.
    Just brilliant. I'd already studied the chartlets but it still worried me, especially solo. Thanks so much for that, I'll have a good look tomorrow when I'm out.....in daylight!