Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default VHF - quickest way to obtain qualification - Kent!

Hey All

One of my little investments is finally paying off and will be buying an F-Rib and exploring the Thames and our waterways, building my experience etc.

Being responsible, now would be a good time to do VHF as we will be getting a couple of handhelds, so need to do it asap.

I work from home, self employed, so can do as and when, but I can only do public transport. My other half is a teacher, so can only do sit downs in half term holidays.

Can we do it online including the qualification? Had a google and OMG!

Do you know anywhere you would recommend? Would rather go on recommendations than random google finds...

Would like to get this done and dusted and out of the way. One less thing to worry about.

Cheers all.

PS…. watch out on the Thames… I will be having fun soon….

Rob

Default Re: VHF - quickest way to obtain qualification - Kent!

I think you will find all such training has to be RYA approved. So your choice may be more about available dates.
    Bear in mind handheld radios have limited range . If a fixed radio is possible on your boat it would be worth having .

I just googled f rib and realised a fixed radio will not be an option.

Not having a license should not prevent you from buying a marine radio and carrying it on the boat.
    If it all goes wrong or you see something that might need you to be the one to call for assistance,nobody is going to have any problems with you calling for help over the radio.
    Please get a decent one, something that floats preferably and try to avoid the really cheap krap that usually sells for under £100, just like a lifejacket your/and others safety might depend on it someday.
    The Thames forum would be good place to get all the local info about the fun and perils of the Thames Estuary and last of all ....outboard Kill cord . ??????
    Last edited by oldgit; 03-07-19 at 06:54.

Give Andrew a call at First4: https://www.first4boattraining.co.uk/

While I certainly would not try to discourage you from doing the training and getting the certificate, as others have said above, there is nothing to stop you carrying a radio to listen to the coastguard broadcasts and call for help in an emergency. The marine VHF band really should not be used for general chit-chat anyway - get a couple of cheap PMR446 radios for that and you can use them elsewhere as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RobBradley View Post
    Hey All

One of my little investments is finally paying off and will be buying an F-Rib and exploring the Thames and our waterways, building my experience etc.

Being responsible, now would be a good time to do VHF as we will be getting a couple of handhelds, so need to do it asap.

I work from home, self employed, so can do as and when, but I can only do public transport. My other half is a teacher, so can only do sit downs in half term holidays.

Can we do it online including the qualification? Had a google and OMG!

Do you know anywhere you would recommend? Would rather go on recommendations than random google finds...

Would like to get this done and dusted and out of the way. One less thing to worry about.

Cheers all.

PS…. watch out on the Thames… I will be having fun soon….

Rob
    I believe you can do the course online but you need to go to an RYA test centre for the exam.

The Medway Yacht club is doing a VHF course and exam all on the same day next month See http://www.medwayyachtclub.com/2015/06/rya-vhf-course/

Quote Originally Posted by lydiamight View Post
    The Medway Yacht club is doing a VHF course and exam all on the same day next month See http://www.medwayyachtclub.com/2015/06/rya-vhf-course/
    Do not be put off attending a course,even if you last took an exam in the last century.
    Usually a bunch of folks just like you and usually good fun.
    A radio amateur since the year dot and also used to fly, but when it came to doing a practice call to somebody on the other side of the room....instantly froze.

A lot of the DSC stuff is worth learning and practicing in the classroom too .

Pete

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast