Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Small Sailing Boat with Inboard Diesel. Advice Needed

I am after a small sailing boat (20 - 24ft) which I can tow and it needs to be a bilge keel.
    I can get a drying out mooring in Morecambe Bay near where I live.
    I am aware that any boat I get which may have an Outboard either on the transom or in a well is liable to be nicked.
    So a small boat with an inboard Diesel would be the answer.
    The last sailing boat I had 15 years ago was a Drascombe Lugger but could do with something a bit bigger.
    Any suggestions please.

Default Re: Small Sailing Boat with Inboard Diesel. Advice Needed

If you want to tow it, then you need to do the sums for the mass of everything and look at what your car can tow, or what car you are prepared to change to.
    Unless you aspire to using various bases, then the costs of running a big towing car will likely pay for haul out and storage?

Beware of small diesels in small boats. They are heavier than outboards which is not good either for sailing or towing. A good reliable one is expensive, both cost of engine and cost of installation, and an unreliable one is a nightmare and the total cost of repairs and spare parts can add up to more than the cost of a new outboard. Then there are lobster pot lines and assorted marine rubbish just waiting for your propeller...… and dragging a propeller through the water will do sailing performance no good at all.
    Incidentally, for shoal draft, trailer friendliness and ability to take ground, there are solutions other than bilge/twin keels. Bilge keels for a 20 - 24 ' boat are likely to mean a draft of about 2' which is a lot for launching/retrieval and there's a reason why many small boats have centreboards or lee boards.
    But it's your choice.

Look at the small Hunter's, Hunter Horizon 21,23, Duette. SOme have a great system that has an Outboard in the quarter locker. With a small boat a small Outboard can be used that can be more easily removed, and if there is enough wind you can sail! Boat's without Diesel engines are genrally simpler and easier to look after as I'm sure you know from your Drascombe days.
    Lifting keel could also be good solution, e.g. Hunter Medina Parker 21, 23, Red Fox 20 with the advantage that they float in less water.
    Have fun

Some people have put small diesels like 1GMs into quite small boats, but they tend to be one-off and not a budget option.
    Some people tow bigger boats, e.g. Impala 28's which commonly have 1GMs in, but you need to watch the weight carefully and drive a Land Rover or similar.

It is possible to search Yachtworld.co.uk, put in length, budget and select 'diesel'.
    I tried this it threw up some nonsense but also more choice than I'd have guessed.

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

Dillan Winter's Mirror offshore had an inboard diesel but his experiences with this were so bad he wanted to fit an outboard to a Westerly Centaur!
    Substance over style

Have a wander round Blackpool and Fleetwood Yacht club
    there is a Ruffian with an inboard for sale and a few others
    Good Luck
    Claymore

Nowt wrong in principle with diesels in small boats, but they need to be good ones (most are). Having had both outboards and inboard diesels I prefer the latter, but I'm a cruiser and cover long distances. If you just want to potter round the bay you're better off with an outboard.

An outboard has the advantage of lower weight for towing, especially if you can put the outboard in the towing vehicle, rather than leave it on the towed boat. If you can't, the outboard's weight is right at the back of the boat, just where you don't want it.

Diesel gives much better range, economy and waterside fuel availability. They are generally more reliable, last many decades, are easy to service, and can generate all the electricity you want.
    But
    a knackered and unreliable old diesel is a liability, especially in a small boat, where the cost of replacing it with something you can be sure will be reliable will be disproportionate. I suggest you get an engineer to check over; fire up; and give you an informal, verbal assessment of any diesel engine in a boat you are thinking of buying. (Formal written engine surveys are so hedged with qualifications they have little advantage, it seemed to me.)

That's what I did with the last boat I bought, the diesel engine of which is 40 years old (a Bukh), hadn't been run for 18 months but started within a second, and in the subsequent two years has proved very capable and reliable. I took a chance on a previous boat that had a recent replacement Beta, and that, too, proved very satisfactory.

Some older diesel engines are generally considered worth avoiding - Petter, BMW, Renault, for example (though some get good service from them). I believe parts are problematic for some older Volvos and Yanmars. A modern Volvo, Yanmar, Beta or Nanni should be no problem at all. Bukh DV series engines are simple and solid (though very heavy), and have been in continuous production for 40 years, and parts still all readily available. They're used in lifeboats, so low hours used ones from that source are fairly readily available as cheap(ish) replacements should an old one fail.

If your only worry about an outboard is getting it nicked, then perhaps secure stowage would be an option? A local guy had another idea. He painted it in very non-standard colours, which would make it unattractive as difficult to sell on.
    Put it out of sight in the cabin? and chained with hefty stuff to a strongpoint?

Quote Originally Posted by Little Grebe View Post
    Dillan Winter's Mirror offshore had an inboard diesel but his experiences with this were so bad he wanted to fit an outboard to a Westerly Centaur!
    And outboards can still be stolen when taken "safely" home, as he also discovered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast