Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Replacing teak ply washboard

Quote Originally Posted by eddystone View Post
    Being on a swinging mooring that's not really a problem
    True but we like to go places

Veneer your own ply using epoxy resin to glue.
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

Quote Originally Posted by PCUK View Post
    Veneer your own ply using epoxy resin to glue.
    Or mount an expedition to the tropics to cut down teak tree (with stone adze of course)

I've gone from wood to acrylic and would never go back.

More light in the saloon, we can look out at the rain, we don't sleep in the saloon and if anybody could see in they would need to be very close and may as well join us for a pot of tea.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    I'm wondering if those who eschew teak-faced ply for washboards in favour of even more one-use plastic have even considered real teak.
    Our Sadler 32 still has the original set of three solid teak washboards.

Every now and again I have to rub down the varnish to bare wood and redo it, and they look great again. To cut this down I have a cheap bit of osb to pop in the hole over winter.

I was thinking of getting an acrylic board or two, just for cold rainy days spent below. But acrylic seems much heavier than wood the same thickness. A thinner piece would presumably need edging.

Recently replaced our very manky wooden washboards with acrylic - much prefer the acrylic. As the acrylic can be a lot thinner for the same strength, our washboards have been made from thick acrylic then machined down to approx. half the thickness except at the vertical edges, so the boards still fit in the original runners.

Cover them with teak pattern self adhesive vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by James_Calvert View Post

Every now and again I have to rub down the varnish to bare wood and redo it, and they look great again. To cut this down I have a cheap bit of osb to pop in the hole over winter.

I was thinking of getting an acrylic board or two, just for cold rainy days spent below. But acrylic seems much heavier than wood the same thickness. A thinner piece would presumably need edging.
    Well this Sadler 42 has ply washboards; the more I think about it the more I like the idea of getting a bit more light into the cabin when the boards have to be in to keep the weather out.

Can anyone recommend a good supplier of acrylic washboards?

How thick do they need to be? Our ply washboards are made of two 6mm sheets stuck back to back but the channel in the cabin is only a single 6mm thickness so the boards will require some machining that is beyond my skill.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by James_Calvert View Post

Our Sadler 34 came with the same 3-piece washboards. Due to their chamfered edge design it was ridiculously easy to break into the boat, which someone did the night after I fitted £1000 worth of gps. I replaced them with a single plywood door with mahogany edge strips and a decent lock. The board fits into the cockpit locker for stowage and has been ideal for us for more than 20 years.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast