Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Where do you get your diesel?

I don't think so.
    View from the road bridge......
    DSCF8229sm.jpg
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cantata View Post
    I don't think so.
    View from the road bridge......
    DSCF8229sm.jpg
    Hi Dick,

That's a half fact - there's a lot more water at the top of a spring. Laden barges (~7 foot draft) used to make it up to the mill regularly, and 20 years ago there was a 12m (? 9 ft. draft) berthed up there. That's what made me think that it might be possible to get a tanker parked outside the mill to bunker alongside the quay. How do you think the motor cruiser to the left in your pic got onto that berth?

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWright View Post
    Hi Dick,

That's a half fact - there's a lot more water at the top of a spring. Laden barges (~7 foot draft) used to make it up to the mill regularly, and 20 years ago there was a 12m (? 9 ft. draft) berthed up there. That's what made me think that it might be possible to get a tanker parked outside the mill to bunker alongside the quay. How do you think the motor cruiser to the left in your pic got onto that berth?

Peter.
    I have heard that it's rather silted up that far upriver over the last decade or two (certainly we've seen a lot of silt buildup at Fambridge and if my mud berth is anything to go by it's been gradually getting shallower for a lot of years 'cos there's a good yard or more of compacted silt on top of an old hard that used to be a good foot or more proud of the surrounding mud)

Plus, the old mill is now an antique centre with no obvious access onto the river from it's yard which is itself full of, er, antiques! And on the South bank I have heard tell that the owners of the river access are rather discouraging about casual use thereof

I really can't see anywhere at Battlesbridge where it would be possible today to get a boat alongside and a tanker close enough for long enough if indeed at all even disregarding the considerable difficulties in navigating anything other than a flat bottomed boat that can safely take the mud up that far

I know there's water for a quick visit across HW for a shoal draught boat, as that motor cruiser is, but I've always taken fright at any ideas of staying over LW because if the steepness of the mud banks.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12