Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Boat River Deben, Suffolk. Home Nottinghamshire

Default Navionics App Update -AIS

So it looks like the Navionics Boating App has had an update and AIS overlay is now available. Anyone know the settings to get a Quark Wifi receiver to connect to the App? It's not listed in the compatible devices list, but figure there must be a way to connect it? Thanks in advance. If nobody on here can figure it I'll do a bit of chasing with Quark and Navionics.

Default Re: Navionics App Update -AIS

Following with interest! An ais overlay would be great

Quote Originally Posted by ballyabroad View Post
    So it looks like the Navionics Boating App has had an update and AIS overlay is now available. Anyone know the settings to get a Quark Wifi receiver to connect to the App? It's not listed in the compatible devices list, but figure there must be a way to connect it? Thanks in advance. If nobody on here can figure it I'll do a bit of chasing with Quark and Navionics.
    A while back when they first announced the sonar charts thing I was fiddling with the android version and it seemed to accept NMEA over udp broadcast to port 2000. They might have changed it and after my blog post someone mailed me to say that wasn't working for them on ios, but you could give that a go

Quote Originally Posted by ballyabroad View Post
    All you have to do is open your tablet/phones wifi setting and connect the tablet to the wifi signal being transmitted by your AIS unit. Your tablet will then receive the AIS data over wifi from your AIS unit. This is the same process as I currently use to get the AIS targets onto OpenCPN running on my tablet.

If the AIS targets then don't show up when you turn on "AIS Targets" in Map Options then it's presumably because there is an incompatibility. My Vespermarine is listed as compatible so I should be OK although I can't test it until I'm back on the boat.

If the Navionics implementation is good, it looks as if OpenCPN will become redundant because AIS is all I use it for.

Richard

Just had a look at m boating app and it has AIS added, it just needs a suitable WiFi AIS, very good update

Been a long time coming, good that Garmin now own Navionics
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    A while back when they first announced the sonar charts thing I was fiddling with the android version and it seemed to accept NMEA over udp broadcast to port 2000. They might have changed it and after my blog post someone mailed me to say that wasn't working for them on ios, but you could give that a go
    This is still true. We sometimes use your kplex (cheers!) to get depth soundings into Navionics on Android when sounding out an anchorage where the sonarchart is dead wrong. Works okay, although after a few days/weeks uptime kplex seems to need a restart because something in the UDP stuff gets stuck (TCP continues to work - never really had the chance to look into it very much).

Just downloading the AIS update. Might take a while (weak signal from the restaurant wifi at anchor). Expect it will work the same, but will report back once tried.

Boat River Deben, Suffolk. Home Nottinghamshire

Have tried connecting a tablet with Navionics to the AIS receiver, but no joy with the Navionics App. Open CPN and Marine Navigator work fine pulling in the AIS data. I've emailed Navionics to see if they'll let me have the details of what the App is actually looking for. Hoping I'll be able to emulate another device as I can change the Wifi settings on the Quark. I'll keep the thread updated.

UK and NW Caribbean, Belize Mexico & Guatemala

Another addition is that Navionics now will upload/download .GPX file formats so waypoints from Garmin devices can easily be installed on Navionics apps on Android and apple devices

Works fine with kplex. Not a lot of AIS targets in range here, but it shows up just fine. Curious to see how it renders ones underway - should find out tomorrow.

Relevant part of the kplex.conf:

Code:
    # UDP Navionics broadcast for Sonarcharts
    [udp]
    port=2000
    type=broadcast
    address=172.16.42.255
    direction=out
    Shows up in Navionics like so (under connected device):

And then on the map:

So if you can tell your Quark to do the same (UDP broadcast on port 2000), and have Navionics connected to the same Wifi network, it should show up there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast