Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Navionics App Update -AIS

Quote Originally Posted by Yngmar View Post
    Works okay, although after a few days/weeks uptime kplex seems to need a restart because something in the UDP stuff gets stuck (TCP continues to work - never really had the chance to look into it very much).
    Not had that reported: Let me know details by email (or on the google group so anyone else who's seen this can pitch in) and I'll look into it

Just set up my opencpn laptop to be a WiFi access point using free connectify software and told opencpn to UDP broadcast ais messages to 255.255.255.255 port 2000. Connected iPad wifi to the virtual access point and ais overlay appeared in Navionics on the iPad.

Looks like Navionics isn't available on Windows devices, does anyone have a view on decent chartplotters for Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Col View Post
    Looks like Navionics isn't available on Windows devices, does anyone have a view on decent chartplotters for Windows?
    OpenCPN works well on Mac/Linux/Windows. Charts not included, but available (o-charts etc. - depends where you cruise). This is much better than Navionics. Navionics is really just charts that come with a very basic chartplotting app.

Navionics is really just charts that come with a very basic chartplotting app .....
    .... but now with AIS and automatic route plotting so not quite so basic.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    .... but now with AIS and automatic route plotting so not quite so basic.
    Compared to OpenCPN, the Navionics app is still a lot like drawing on a paper chart with crayons instead of a mechanical pencil. Of course it may well be sufficient for many.

We do use both, together, and appreciate each for their strengths. OpenCPN does all the route planning, steers the autopilot, watches the anchor, let's me draw on the chart, load charts from multiple sources (including satellite imagery) and has a ton of useful plugins (GRIB overlays, Climatology, Watch Dog, etc.) and its AIS display is the best I've seen yet (it sure leaves B&G's latest Zeus chartplotters look pretty lame by comparison, at least in this respect).

Navionics however undoubtedly has the best leisure charts by far, thanks to their Sonarcharts, the user-editable data and recent integration with Activecaptain. Also being portable (on a waterproof phone), we can even use in the dinghy

Northern summers aboard Ningaloo otherwise Perth WA

it (OpenCPN) sure leaves B&G's latest Zeus chartplotters look pretty lame by comparison, at least in this respect.
    I spoke to the developers at Simrad about the crude AIS graphics and they told me that this was as outside their control as it is part of the AIS specification.

Not sure about this but if true, I imagine that OpenCPN, MarineTraffic and others are not as constrained as they are not designing hardware that needs to meet such AIS standards.
    Ningaloo - Hanse 385

Boat River Deben, Suffolk. Home Nottinghamshire

If anyone is interested here are the generic Wifi settings for what the App is looking for....
    Thank you for contacting Navionics.

If you don’t have any of the devices listed in compatibility guide and your Ais receiver allows setting the wifi configurations, you can use one of the below configurations known to the Navionics apps:

ip Address: “0.0.0.0” (or leave empty)

port: 2000,

protocol: "UDP"

ip Address: "192.168.15.1"

port: 39150

protocol:*“TCP”

Best regards,

Marco*

CUSTOMER SERVICE*

Quote Originally Posted by john_q View Post
    Another addition is that Navionics now will upload/download .GPX file formats so waypoints from Garmin devices can easily be installed on Navionics apps on Android and apple devices
    Interesting.
    I wonder if that means I can import routes to the chartplotter.
    Currently, I have to have an active subscription/card.

You should be able to either by exporting to a card and uploading or using plotter sync, we’ve been doing this for the last year, works well even if it as bit clunky

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast