Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lock keeping service this weekend

Default Re: Lock keeping service this weekend

At least they have warned folks in advance...something like this was bound to happen eventually.
    Perhaps best plan is to avoid the weekend peak hours crush, go early or late.
    We will be arriving during the peak holiday period, better brush up on my lock operating techniques, in case this is just a precursor.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Perhaps best plan is to avoid the weekend peak hours crush, go early or late..
    or just potter up and down Henley reach and get in the way.

Currently at Oxford, strange (and good) that all the locks from Goring upwards were fully manned including reliefs/ volunteers. And all friendly and helpful. And not on the list for this weekend either. Maybe the EA management is more competent upriver?

Quote Originally Posted by LimL View Post
    Currently at Oxford, strange (and good) that all the locks from Goring upwards were fully manned including reliefs/ volunteers. And all friendly and helpful. And not on the list for this weekend either. Maybe the EA management is more competent upriver?
    its not often you hear EA Mgt and Competent in the same sentence!

It's a huge list - quite frightening to see so many locks unmanned and listed as such (rather than to arrive and think "yet another lock on self service"..

Two matters to add insult to injury -
    1. A cross reference to a publication that has nothing to do with the Thames - their locks are all manually operated
    2. Nothing has been done to replace the lock operation notice - most of which have been removed and absolutely no effort to make them intelligible to either those who think they understand the operation or more importantly to those who don't.

And no mention of the resources deployed at Henley Regatta - I saw 5 patrol boats in the reach from the grandstands yesterday. That must be affecting lock service - passengers included the Waterways Manager amongst many others - but no dedicated Angel Guard patrol obvious.
    Last edited by Gibeltarik; 05-07-19 at 18:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibeltarik View Post
    And no mention of the resources deployed at Henley Regatta - I saw 5 from the grandstands yesterday. That must be affecting lock service - passengers included the Waterways Manager amongst many others - but no dedicated Angel Guard patrol obvious.
    angelguard patrol was two men In an open dory in the vicinity of the bridge when we went through yesterday morning.
    Probably saw at least 10 EA staff including several standing around the head pedestal at Hambleden lock, none of whom responded when I said “Good Morning”.
    Re the advisory notice today this is an all time low - never seen a notice like that before, ever.
    When will the EA get the message that the waterway is a seasonal activity and holidays need to be scheduled out of season.
    The concept of Customer service is alien to them. The reference to the CRT Boaters Handbook is a joke - I have been trying to work with their staff for well over a year to try and improve pedestal instructions.
    Last edited by boatone; 05-07-19 at 17:43.

H,mm. not sure I would wish to be sitting on any UK beach with my family in December, because the EA employment contract prohibits summer holidays for staff ?

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    H,mm. not sure I would wish to be sitting on any UK beach with my family in December, because the EA employment contract prohibits summer holidays for staff ?
    Oversimplification hides the message, Fred. But when locks are better manned on weekdays than at weekends some serious questions need asking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast