Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Lock keeping service this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    H,mm. not sure I would wish to be sitting on any UK beach with my family in December, because the EA employment contract prohibits summer holidays for staff ?
    Which is why most LWK go abroad for their holidays.
    The Zen Master said "we'll see"

Quote Originally Posted by boatone View Post
    Just received from EA
    Attachment 78916
    Volunteer Lock Assistants should be used more.

Quote Originally Posted by Big John View Post
    Volunteer Lock Assistants should be used more.
    That doesn't solve the problem - because a Volo is not allowed to work entirely on his own - there must be a qualified member of EA staff on hand at that site.

In the past EA hired and trained short term staff to fill seasonal shortfalls - but are they doing that this year - if not, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
    That doesn't solve the problem - because a Volo is not allowed to work entirely on his own - there must be a qualified member of EA staff on hand at that site.
    In the past EA hired and trained short term staff to fill seasonal shortfalls - but are they doing that this year - if not, why not?
    If you read the first para of the notice it refers to resignations of 3 summer reliefs - so the answer is yes.
    Dont worry, the fuss will all have died down by Monday. The irony is that the EA didn’t need to telegraph the information and boaters would simply have thought things were pretty much as becoming expected !
    Last edited by boatone; 06-07-19 at 13:29.

I wonder if the old term "summer relief" and "volunteer" have been conflated somewhere along the line.

They are two different things.

At least one volunteer has recently " resigned" (how does that work then) because of the crotch strap lifejacket issue.

See new thread
    Last edited by boatone; 07-07-19 at 07:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Outinthedinghy View Post
    I wonder if the old term "summer relief" and "volunteer" have been conflated somewhere along the line.

They are two different things.

At least one volunteer has recently " resigned" (how does that work then) because of the crotch strap lifejacket issue.
    I saw on another forum a picture of 6 CRT volunteer lock assistants with life jackets but no crotch straps. I do not have the knowledge to be able to transfer the picture otherwise I would add for evidence.
    Last edited by Big John; 07-07-19 at 08:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Big John View Post
    I saw on another forum a picture of 6 CRT volunteer lock assistants all with life jackets but no crotch straps. I do not have the knowledge to be able to transfer the picture otherwise I would add for evidence.
    CRT uses Typhoon automatic lifejackets with no crotch strap. I have Crewsaver LJS for personal use when boating and have removed the crotch straps as they chafe in the important little places. The EA is being over cautious and, doubtless quoting some H&S reason while ignoring history and the probability of falling in.
    When I was in the Navy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Crusty View Post
    CRT uses Typhoon automatic lifejackets with no crotch strap. I have Crewsaver LJS for personal use when boating and have removed the crotch straps as they chafe in the important little places. The EA is being over cautious and, doubtless quoting some H&S reason while ignoring history and the probability of falling in.
    Managed it.

64579727_2826146880760577_4236268785419419648_n.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12