Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2020 & 2021

Default Re: 2020 & 2021

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Arisaig, but they book up a year or more in advance.
    ... I best look to book then.
    Thanks JD

Quote Originally Posted by Minchsailor View Post
    Further to my previous post, an additional place, and some may think an oddball one:

Dunvegan on the West coast of Skye. There are 6 moorings, of which 3 would be suitable for a boat of your size. Good protection. Because of Skye's tourist traffic there are reasonable connections to Portree from both Glasgow and Inverness, with a local bus several times a day to/from Portree.

That is an interesting option. Thanks for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    It's a short enough fetch and really strong NE are unlikely anyway in summer - I've a mooring here and never worried.

There isn't really a 'boatman' but there are plenty of locals who can keep an eye on things if asked to - use the contacts in the link I sent and ask is my best advice. Dinghies can be left on the pontoon or ashore without issue, or one can beg a lift but that's not to be relied upon. I imagine that one could make an arrangement in advance (I'm reluctant to post people's names on a public forum).
    I will pm you when I get closer to a plan. Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Genoa View Post
    ... I best look to book then.
    Thanks JD
    You're welcome. I have only been there as a visitor, but they seem like nice people. It's a five or ten minute walk to the railway station, and although Arisaig only has a (reasonably good) small Spar, Mallaig is a couple of stops up the line and has a good Co-Op.

I hope to base my own boat there some time.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Stornoway.
    Bombproof marina, engineers and chandlers, daily flights to Inverness, Glasgow and Edinburgh. Later this year Loganair start a direct flight via Glasgow to London City.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    You're welcome. I have only been there as a visitor, but they seem like nice people. It's a five or ten minute walk to the railway station, and although Arisaig only has a (reasonably good) small Spar, Mallaig is a couple of stops up the line and has a good Co-Op.

I hope to base my own boat there some time.
    There is also a local bus to Mallaig, and occasionally to Fort William.

Note that Arisaig Marine has recently changed ownership, so things may change a bit in future.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthUp View Post
    Stornoway.
    Bombproof marina, engineers and chandlers, daily flights to Inverness, Glasgow and Edinburgh. Later this year Loganair start a direct flight via Glasgow to London City.
    Not to mention the nicest people in Christendom...

Lochinver has a boat lift. You could go onto the hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Minchsailor View Post
    ...Dunvegan on the West coast of Skye...
    And the best vegetable and fruit shop in the whole of Scotland, with more local ingredients than you'd ever guess (Skye basil, and tarragon and you name it). It also stocks more curry and Thai food ingredients in bulk than you'd find in Soho. Pity the pub / hotel is shut for 2019. Nonetheless, eating meat again was the #1 highlight for our 2019 cruise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12