Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Video documenting June 2019 trip to Dunkerque, Oostend and back to the Orwell

Hope you'll enjoy it:

https://youtu.be/PxugpIgadys

Default Re: Video documenting June 2019 trip to Dunkerque, Oostend and back to the Orwell

Couldn't watch it, sorry. Far too jerky and unpleasant on the eyes.

Default Re: Video documenting June 2019 trip to Dunkerque, Oostend and back to the Orwell

Yes, the edit is a little er... frenetic trying to match the music which is a shame as there are some lovely shots. Try a few more soft fades and longer shots, or cut down on the caffeine
    Harwich for the Continent - Brexit For the Incontinent . Sadler 290

It's a shame because many of the shots are potentially attractive and you have the idea that the film needs to tell a story. Some of us have an attention span of more than 1.5 seconds so why not take advantage of it by letting us settle into a scene? In the old days of cine we were told that an effective shot should last seven seconds except for effect and we got used to counting while shooting, so much so that I am still in the habit of counting seconds while doing anything (no comments please). All this was while were were paying through the nose per foot of film, so we knew that it had to work.

Don't be put off by our negative comments but be a good chap and pop round and do it again. And turn that awful music off.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

A crushing critique of my film editing skills...
    Nowadays, peopleís attention span is about 1.25 seconds, hence the erraticity of the clips.

Quote Originally Posted by STOL71 View Post
    Nowadays, people’s attention span is about 1.25 seconds, hence the erraticity of the clips.
    It's not really the editing. You have to be thinking ahead when taking the shots about how they will fit together. Jump-cuts just don't work, so taking scene-setting shots that you can insert makes it much easier. Panning is still banned under EU law I believe, or should be.

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    Panning is still banned under EU law I believe, or should be.
    Unless it's for gold
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

Quote Originally Posted by dolabriform View Post
    Unless it's for gold
    Glad to see that you are still providing stirling service.

Quote Originally Posted by STOL71 View Post
    Nowadays, people’s attention span is about 1.25 seconds, hence the erraticity of the clips.
    I guess you have kept the rushes....? Maybe a rework taking on board a few of the constructive comments and this will be a good watch.

As for attention span of 1.25 seconds, whilst that may be true of today’s teenagers... I’m guessing for the majority of the guys on here and I suppose your target audience are just a tad older �� ?

Thanks for posting, but have another go if you feel up to it....

No critical intent ...err intended.... believe me I know exactly what it’s like to have your work less than favourably received !
    "Work is the curse of the Drinking Classes" Oscar W.

Iíve now lost all buoyancy to share this wonderful sailing experience with the YBW community...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast