Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Default Veteran coastguards sacked for rescuing car from cliff edge

Let's hope that Minn gets the assignment to run the MCA asap as the organisation is clearly totally incompetent.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...e-bosses-told/

If these were employees in the normal sense they would be in line for a big unfair dismissal payout, and I'd be happy to represent them in court as the case would be a slam dunk win.

They might still get a payout if the MCA doesn't reverse its decision although I would need to see their contractual details to understand what their actual status is.

Richard
    Last edited by RichardS; 06-07-19 at 13:03.

Default Re: Veteran coastguards sacked for rescuing car from cliff edge

I could go into a rant about ' sign of the times ' but that's obvious.

Taking off uniform insignia, not using or risking the official vehicle and clearly trying to help someone should get medals and a lot of beers not the sack !

I thought the Coastguard had reached its low point with inland numpties who don't know the Solent from Stornoway, but clearly the accountants can still come up with surprises for normal humans.

Best of luck to the guys, well done !
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Taking off uniform insignia, not using or risking the official vehicle and clearly trying to help someone should get medals and a lot of beers not the sack !
    You forgot "walking off the job without permission to undertake a task which had already been assessed as unnecessarily risky".
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Oh devils advocate , if every employee did not do as they were told by senior managment then it would be anachry out there ,
    you cannt just do as you please , they were on MCA offical time they cannot just stop take of their clothing and say were not working to their time good God the world who go crazy ,
    It was for a blooming car no life was at risk and they put their lives on the line for a car more than likely insured
    the Fire Brigade and 2 burly men could not restrain the man I don;t think so
    It may sound daft and stupid to us but you follow the rules and the H and Safety of the situation and it did not warrent 2 men on Coast Guard time ot rescue a car , what would have happened if they were need else were if a young child fell of the cliff and those 2 numpties were pulling up a car
    blooming silly
    IMHO
    Have ran staff for 25 years up to 200 + and by god anyone just wandered off to do their own thing would aslo face disiplinary action , espically if putting their lifes at risk when told not t
    Flying birds have no master

OK the owner may not have been at risk, reasonable effort to save his car - ( or in similar conditions a boat ) without putting themselves at risk or sod the car - seems laudable to me and would normally be a good PR move, while this is the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    OK the owner may not have been at risk, reasonable effort to save his car - ( or in similar conditions a boat ) without putting themselves at risk or sod the car - seems laudable to me and would normally be a good PR move, while this is the opposite.
    Iagree but the problem is they walked off the Job and said be damned with managment , this is a problem
    I remember some years back a lady fell down a well in Central Scotland and the Fire Brigade came but did not have the so called skills to retrive her acording to Risk assesment even though couple of the lads wanted to go dowm they were told know by senior command , they waited for mountain Rescue which took some time to get to them at this point when they retived her she had already died
    the coroner did state if she was rescued earlier she might have survied , caused a right argument up here , and there are the 2 sides but by god I wonder how many of those firemen wanted to be dammned with regualtion and get a rope and go down

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    You forgot "walking off the job without permission to undertake a task which had already been assessed as unnecessarily risky".
    I don't believe that is a correct summary. The two coastguards are volunteers and, when they are not on a "shout", are free to do as they wish with their own time and their own resources. As soon as they were told to "stand down" they are in their own time and the MCA has no control over them unless they are called out on another shout, which they weren't.

The owner of the vehicle was elderly and distressed so as they were in the own free time, they took off their uniforms and and used their own vehicle to help him, exactly as any members of the public might do.

The only thing they did wrong, as accepted by the MCA, is they that did not take the MCA vehicle back to the station before they did their good samaritan act.

The MCA management responsible for the decision are totally and comprehensively incompetent and if my decision making as a manager of a large organisation were are imbecilic as the those guys, I would have been sacked many years ago.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingGoose View Post
    Iagree but the problem is they walked off the Job and said be damned with managment , this is a problem
    Not a correct assertion. See above.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Not a correct assertion. See above.

Richard
    Apoliges never read further down , yes that makes a diffrence bloody pencil pushers , Ill stick one of those pencils were the Sun don't shine

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I don't believe that is a correct summary. The two coastguards are volunteers and, when they are not on a "shout", are free to do as they wish with their own time and their own resources. As soon as they were told to "stand down" they are in their own time and the MCA has no control over them unless they are called out on another shout, which they weren't.

The owner of the vehicle was elderly and distressed so as they were in the own free time, they took off their uniforms and and used their own vehicle to help him, exactly as any members of the public might do.

The only thing they did wrong, as accepted by the MCA, is they that did not take the MCA vehicle back to the station before they did their good samaritan act.

The MCA management responsible for the decision are totally and comprehensively incompetent and if my decision making as a manager of a large organisation were are imbecilic as the those guys, I would have been sacked many years ago.

Richard
    Well there comes a time when one has to put common sense, and morals - maybe risking careers too - above idiot PC managers and help people in distress - these guys acted in the highest standards of their Public Servant Service and should be applauded.

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast