Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

Default Coastguards resign after reprimand - here we go again

Two north Devon coastguards who were reprimanded for taking a teenager to hospital in a van rather than waiting 2 hours for an ambulance, have resigned. Full story here.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ager-hospital/
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Default Re: Coastguards resign after reprimand - here we go again

Two people with 32 years and 18 years of service, experience and training.

I wonder how much experience the person organising the reprimand had ?

I'm no Paramedic or Coastguard ( do have 3 First Aid tickets ) but have opted to take my very ill mother and seriously injured father to hospital in my car several times.

When my mother was in severe distress with terminal throat cancer recently the brilliant ambulance crew waited with her administering aid for over four hours as they couldn't get an emergency doctor out with a sedative - then we all agreed she had to go to hospital.

They promised they would look after her in the ambulance until a bed was free in A & E - and were not only good for their word, they came to see her in Redhill hospital and Dad and I at home the next day.

I despair for ' common ' sense - if these Coastguards aren't reinstated and given free beers for life, the lunatics really have taken over the asylum.
    Last edited by Seajet; 07-07-19 at 16:11.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

The only explanation I can offer for the extreme treatment of the senior Coastguards in all these cases is that the MCA actually wants to reduce the number of coastguards and these cases are a ludicrously hamfisted way of achieving that aim. Any competent management would simply have a private counselling, perhaps going as far as a formal warning if they wanted to retain their people.

The Coastguard Senior Management in Southampton will inevitably be provided with transcripts of these threads and will either be cringing with embarrassment or wringing their hands in glee that their retrenchment plan is working. We'll see how it pans out in due course.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Two people with 32 years and 18 years of service, experience and training.
    And how many years' experience of medical assessment of back injuries?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Seeing as I had a lot of training re back injuries even on a few First Aid courses - and had to use it when someone was badly hurt, ( happy outcome ) I'd think these Coastguards with all their experience had excellent training; do you really think they should have just stood around and shrugged looking at their watches for hours ?
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    CG's with as many years experience as these guys will have attended numerous personal injury incidents, certainly enough to form an opinion of the seriousness or otherwise of an injury. Full marks to them for taking the initiative, but this obviously is not part of a Modern CG 's brief. Doesnt bode well for future of CG SAR services .
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post

I despair for ' common ' sense, the lunatics really have taken over the asylum.
    +1 Sad to say!

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    The story I read said there was a paramedic responder with them who was fine with their transporting the patient. The back story here is why was no ambulance available within a reasonable time? Years ago that would have been a scandal in itself, now just normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Wader View Post
    The story I read said there was a paramedic responder with them who was fine with their transporting the patient.
    I read exactly the same.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
    Two north Devon coastguards who were reprimanded for taking a teenager to hospital in a van rather than waiting 2 hours for an ambulance, have resigned. Full story here.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ager-hospital/
    The article you linked to says they took the casualty to casualty in their van and were reprimanded for not informing their Control Ops Room. It doesn't say they were reprimanded for transferring the unconscious man in their van.
    The next morning Mr Court said he was chastised by his area manager for failing to call the control ops room in Falmouth in Cornwall before transporting the man to hospital.
    “He said I should have waited for a call from the duty officer to sign-off on the transfer.
    Do you have a link to support your interpretation of the reason for the reprimand?
    Come on England.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast