Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default East Coast sailing school

A chum is intending to do the Day Skipper practical. Any one got recommendation for a school that doesn't just go through the motions?
    Somewhere that's not the Medway, shall we say, but not too far distant.
    thanks for any responses, I'll pass them on

Default Re: East Coast sailing school

East Anglian Sea School at Levington (Orwell). Used them several times, practical and classroom stuff, always been good.
    https://www.eastanglianseaschool.com/
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala" for sale.

Thanks Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    East Anglian Sea School at Levington (Orwell). Used them several times, practical and classroom stuff, always been good.
    +1. I did my ICC with them, and my wife has just done Competent Crew. The instructor in both cases addressed our individual needs, rather than starting from ground zero or assuming knowledge we didn't have. The ICC instructor was willing to learn; he was interested in the method I used to calculate the course to steer to allow for a tidal offset, as it differed from the one he used! But his main concern was that I got the right answer, not how I did it.

+1 I did a practical course (Coastal Skipper) a few years back, and one of the instructors is a mate... They don't go through motions...
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

An alternative - Shearwater Sailing based at Woolverstone. Small family-run school which uses HR yachts. I had a thoroughly good week with them last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    An alternative - Shearwater Sailing based at Woolverstone. Small family-run school which uses HR yachts. I had a thoroughly good week with them last year.
    +1

Completed my Coastal with Shearwater back in April. With Mark & Tom it is not just about ticking off boxes from a course checklist, it's about teaching you to be a better, safer sailor, and it's as much about the why as the how. And they did this whilst having fun at the same time, I couldn't recommned enough, and I shan't be going anyhwhere else for my future tuition.
    1976 Westerly Centaur, GEMINI

May be a bit further up the east coast but Mark Peacock of Fastack Sailing is very good and practical, sails out of Hull so interesting and many new skills picked up at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    +1 for East Anglian Sea School. I have done Powerboat Level 2, Dayskipper Theory, Yachtmaster (Offshore) theory and practical refresher/exam and MCA Diesel engine course with them - all have been very good

Thanks all. Is there a school at Shotley? Although the ones mentioned will give my chum two good choices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast