Thread: Antifouling

Default Antifouling

We plain to copper coat our boat this winter , this will be the second boat we copper coat , our last boat was a Dufour 385 and we removed all the old AF off ourself , something I got no intentions of ever doing again , this boat is slight bigger .
    Moving forward .
    We have had all sort of costing to have the AF removed from yards around Europe , the hightest €2100 the lowest €400 , we trying to decided which one to use , (two second to think about it )
    The question is do we go back and try to get a reduced on the €400 or do we snap their hands off at that price?
    How much as anyone else been Quoted ?
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Default Re: Antifouling

400€ is a bargain for a boat of that size. Mind they don’t take off your gel coat though!

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by KAL View Post
    400€ is a bargain for a boat of that size. Mind they don’t take off your gel coat though!
    Also what I think!

We have been toying with the idea - and discouraged by the costs of removal of the old AF (and then making good).

I might ask how your front runners are actually going to achieve the desired result and how long will it take. Whereas the low price does look very attractive how long will it take them (or him) - even masking up a yacht takes time. Maybe people are only paid 40 euro an hour?

But if they can do the removal for 400 euro - I think many would be interested in the how.

Jonathan
    Last edited by Neeves; 08-07-19 at 09:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    We have been toying with the idea - and discouraged by the costs of removal of the old AF (and then making good).

I might ask how your front runners are actually going to achieve the desired result and how long will it take. Whereas the low price does look very attractive how long will it take them (or him) - even masking up a yacht takes time. Maybe people are only paid 40 euro an hour?

But if they can do the removal for 400 euro - I think many would be interested in the how.

Jonathan
    It's going to be sanded .
    I had experience of this as I said we did it to a Dufour 385 , it took two of us myself and my partner three days ,
    now when I say three days we started early and other then stops for drinks and a quick lunch we never stop till late .
    We scraped it the time , it was a self AF same as you his boat .
    But not a job I ever want to do again .
    Agree it's a good price , I did think he made a mistake but I have it in writing .

I expect you'll be not paying up front, or at least not all of it, and be there yourself to keep an eye on the work, so if it's destructive you can stop them before they've sanded into the furniture from the outside.

Given that, should be little risk for the €400 job. That's an excellent price the sort of money that would make me pay rather than scrape myself too. For €2000 I'd rather scrape (which I've done as I didn't find a €400 guy back in England).

For the 400€ price, Vic, I’d just urge you to check that it’s not some modern slavery outfit where the scrapers or sanders are being paid almost nothing and given no PPE gear when working with highly toxic substrate. I’m sure you have it all in hand, but might be worth checking. Good luck with the job!

Quote Originally Posted by KAL View Post
    For the 400€ price, Vic, I’d just urge you to check that it’s not some modern slavery outfit where the scrapers or sanders are being paid almost nothing and given no PPE gear when working with highly toxic substrate. I’m sure you have it all in hand, but might be worth checking. Good luck with the job!
    Actually one reason we asked this yard was because the last boat we had , the new owners had it haulout last winter and unlike us they rather pay and have work done for them , they where more then happy , only complaint their had was , you can't be in a hurry , as they will work on the boat one day , do another one the next day coming back to your a day or so later .
    I have made it clear we want it done quickly as I wasn't to CC it and get it back In The water to sail off to our winter stop spot , they seen to be ok with that , only time will tell , it is the Med after all .