Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: Poss next project, but what is it ?????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    I probably wouldn't touch this captain
    you'll probably need 4 good arms for a couple of years full time to get her going

V.
    That boat has come down from what i am sure started at around £10k now down to no £2k. I would be interested but i dont have the money or time for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    If your going to do another bigger boat, do something worthwhile

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/fair...sman-31/611006
    I am a little shocked that is till or sale,i spotted it ages ago and fell in love with it but over my budget, Preston Marina is not far from me at all and have in the last twelve months had some cracking project boats in. Just back then i had to get on with Khashoggi.

Not long ago sold a nice Bruce Roberts MS for pocket money.

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    not a shed though, looks in reasonably good nick, not something for captain Faffer

V.
    LOL V, another thing its wood, i do love wooden boats but so many folk have put me off them now. Not like me that, i find so many boat, ye si not as good a condition as the one we speak of but what could be made real nice.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper681 View Post
    Forgive me, I skipped from the first page to this last page. (atm) thinking that that thing is a shed but ... when I saw what you did with your last project my hat is off to you buddy..

You do what I do, well done bro, I started fixing boats when I was mitching school going to the harbour.
    Bought my first boat at 10yrs old, I had to lift glasses in a hotel bar at wages £1 an hour to work off this 10ft sailing boat owned by the owner of a hotel in Portballintrae for this wee dory sailing punt..
    I did the work hrs, he wanted eighty quid for the wee boat and to be honest my father was quite hard on me, - he wouldnt help me with anything.. I got it really tight but after 70 hrs my mother said that she'd pay the last tenner.

I ended up on the trawlers in Portavogie. There was no better place to be.

I've always been close to the sea and close to MB fibreglass in Belfast and Whale pumps in Bangor.

If it had been anyone else I'd say leave it. I'll not say that to you after seeing your last project.

Very well done bro.

People on here can be very grumpy, I don't know why, it must be a sail thing and they're cross for having no diesel lol - but there is a wealth of knowledge this forum.

Sometimes we love each other, (I can't remember when) but the thing is, at sea - we have each others backs and at the end of the day we are better than airplane drivers... My Sis married a ryanair pilot.. I said from one skipper to another...

well thats another story.

Skip.
    That story reminds me of when i was 13 maybe 14 and got a paper round to buy a radio control car as they were that expensive i couldnt have one for xmas, it must of of been over 30 years ago and i remember it was £160, i went to the model shop every weekend to pay it off and had a little book with what had been paid. ( no bugger does that nowadays do they ) I got to my last tenner and my Nan paid it for me bless her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferris View Post
    Great boat! In the same vein but cheaper:

https://www.apolloduck.eu/boat/trian...ca-25/611530/1
    Nah not for me, found a few similar but not big enough. very minimum 30 footer wanted.

Well still on for pics tomoz to put us all at ease and what it really is like.

Captain Faffer

Quote Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
    I am a little shocked that is till or sale,i spotted it ages ago and fell in love with it but over my budget, Preston Marina is not far from me at all and have in the last twelve months had some cracking project boats in. Just back then i had to get on with Khashoggi.
    You should ask the owner if he'd let you pay in instalments (a little book)! Stranger things have happened.

You must get up to Preston to look at that Fairey, take lots of pics and report back. That really is something rather special.

On second look, it says sale agreed. But still worth a phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    You must get up to Preston to look at that Fairey, take lots of pics and report back. That really is something rather special.
    The point I was making by posting that, is no matter how good a job WW made of the Fisher, its still a Fisher, he'd be polishing a turd.

Better to start with something more worthwhile. I can say tho, from repeated first hand experience, that Fairey will be a long hard expensive slog and by the time its done it'll need starting again. I shouldn't recommend it to anyone and I am an idiot.

The survey on the Fairey is rather damming shame they didn't make them out of grp

The point I was making by posting that, is no matter how good a job WW made of the Fisher, its still a Fisher, he'd be polishing a turd.

Better to start with something more worthwhile. I can say tho, from repeated first hand experience, that Fairey will be a long hard expensive slog and by the time its done it'll need starting again. I shouldn't recommend it to anyone and I am an idiot.
    You dont like me do you as you recommended it to me lol. Just kidin. Hope you do like me.

The fisher though IMO can be a good boat. Most project s tou out in more than you get out anyway. Its about the boat to me and not money. They sell for around 25-30k for a good one and i would be prepared spend thay on it over thime.

Quote Originally Posted by stelican View Post
    The survey on the Fairey is rather damming shame they didn't make them out of grp

They did.

Spearfish is a grp Huntsman 31 aft cockpit, with a slight reduction in freeboard, the Fantome is a 31 hull with integral exhausts.

Quote Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
    You dont like me do you as you recommended it to me lol. Just kidin. Hope you do like me.

The fisher though IMO can be a good boat. Most project s tou out in more than you get out anyway. Its about the boat to me and not money. They sell for around 25-30k for a good one and i would be prepared spend thay on it over thime.
    I'm sure you are lovely!

Just think you need to put your effort into something worthwhile, not a pig.

What about that sunken Halmatic on ebay?

I thought I saw some Nelson 34 pics on one of these threads, but can't see them now. I would say steer clear of the Nelson 34, its so narrow the accomodation is hopeless. Have a look for a cheapo Mitchell 31?
    Last edited by burgundyben; 11-07-19 at 12:37.

I think because everybody views the ideal boat in a different way it is difficult to access what would be a worthwhile project.
    I have restored a few craft back to original spec for owners who wish to relive boyhood dreams with all the quirks and pitfalls that go with them.
    A few projects have been to re purpose old designs into modern usable cruising accommodation.

At the end of the day it is down to preference.
    Most people’s preference is to look at a number of boats for sale.
    Compromise on a few factors.
    Buy it and use it until it no longer for fills it’s use. You out grow it. Change the way you use it or it becomes a money pit.
    Sell it
    Compromise again and buy another.

There are however a merry band of owners who will gladly work on boats that other people may consider a complete waste of time money and effort.
    But get a huge buzz out of creating a craft that they are very proud of because of the time effort that they have put in.

And good on them.
    In the days of firms like Marine Construction . Halmatic ..Aqua Star.. Colvic.. Aquafiber...Robert Ives ..loads of people did the same.

I'm sure you are lovely!

Just think you need to put your effort into something worthwhile, not a pig.

What about that sunken Halmatic on ebay?

I thought I saw some Nelson 34 pics on one of these threads, but can't see them now. I would say steer clear of the Nelson 34, its so narrow the accomodation is hopeless. Have a look for a cheapo Mitchell 31?
    I looked at that the other day but it didnt rock my boat so to speak, its just the look/shape of it. Maybe up close yes, and a bonus is that the engines etc are all there and good but for the P bracket.

Oh yes the Nelson is a defo no goer

I am tempted the more i look at the Halmatic to have a look at it.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast