Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Poss next project, but what is it ?????????????????

Could it be a Colvic

Quote Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
    How about this one, been watching it for a while now

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats...=newsnow.co.uk
    I probably wouldn't touch this captain
    you'll probably need 4 good arms for a couple of years full time to get her going

V.

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    I probably wouldn't touch this captain
    you'll probably need 4 good arms for a couple of years full time to get her going

V.
    Yes, that one should come with barge pole that never touches it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Davy_S View Post
    You cannot see the keel because it is sat in mud, not saying it is a fisher, but most boats on those jetty's settle well into the mud, they dig a hole for themselves.

Attachment 78976
    I have been having further looks at the photo's and I think your right it could well be a Fisher or a Fisher hull moulding. but above deck level just looks so wrong.
    It will be very interesting to see futher photo's.

Definitely a copycat fisher 37 lookalike, not a real fisher. Real fishers were much coveted boats in the mid 1970s, though were motor sailers not real sail boats.
    Probably a one-off fit out of a Colvic hull.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Definitely a copycat fisher 37 lookalike, not a real fisher. Real fishers were much coveted boats in the mid 1970s, though were motor sailers not real sail boats.
    Probably a one-off fit out of a Colvic hull.
    Not according to our Colvic expert, (on Scuttlebut) both threads could really benefit from merging into one.

I would say... Fisher 37.
    Moulded by Robert Ives Christchurch.
    Fitted with a wooden lookalike cabin, built to loose the aft cockpit and increase accommodation.

I was an apprentice when we built the plugs and moulds for the Fisher 37.

The Fisher hulls were often used for other projects.
    One based on the Fisher 40 hull was a workboat for Ross and Cromaty. Harbour authority called Udale.
    I worked on that fitting a Hiab lift to a reinforced deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dill et Bound View Post
    I would say... Fisher 37.
    Moulded by Robert Ives Christchurch.
    Fitted with a wooden lookalike cabin, built to loose the aft cockpit and increase accommodation.

I was an apprentice when we built the plugs and moulds for the Fisher 37.

The Fisher hulls were often used for other projects.
    One based on the Fisher 40 hull was a workboat for Ross and Cromaty. Harbour authority called Udale.
    I worked on that fitting a Hiab lift to a reinforced deck.
    Very interesting. The lower saloon looks like a grp mouding so assume grp deck as well, So what do you think about rebuild?
    I remember them being built on the Hamble went on a couple of visits there in the late 1970s. Still fancy a 25 potter.

They are all very well designed boats.
    It is surprising how many hulls from well known builders and designers ended up at the numerous small boatyards that existed in the 70s and also in the hands of people wishing to self build their dream boat.
    The Fisher bit gives the clue to the good seakeeping of the design.
    There is a 37 sitting in a yard on the Gironde in really much better condition if I was in the market for one.
    Like any project you need vision and deep pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
    I could of gone and bought one ready to go for the same money i put into it. BUT the boat i buy would not be anywhere near as good a condition as mine is now, less spec etc etc etc.

I get to use it every weekend if i wish. launched it last week and spent all week on it and back up for the next month and so on.

It sounds like you dont understand this. If i had the money to splash out all that money i mite do so but would still get one that needs work doing. I am a person who takes pride in what they do and enjoy it, designing and building.
    Not wishing to hijack the thread, but I posted on this topic on another forum not too long ago. The general opinion was roughly divided between those who had plenty of money and those who had plenty of vision. I made the point that buying old, broken, neglected things, be it a car, a boat or a house, whatever, and restoring them to something of their former glory, is a sort of addiction or illness.

My first (relatively simple) resto, was a 16ft Microplus, bought as an introduction, stepping stone boat. I finished it and only used it a handful of times when I had it sold, as I had my 25ft Wellcraft sitting in the yard, undergoing the beginning of it's (less simple) resto. The Microplus had served it's purpose, but lost me money in the process. I priced it for a quick sale and the first to see it, bought it. But it was never going to turn a profit, nor was it intended to.

I gave the Wellcraft a good going over, with many improvements and upgrades and got to use it a number of times last summer, before hauling it out at the end of the year to address a considerable leak and some other necessary work. My plan was to get it sorted in my "off season" during the winter, as I only work the summer season. Investigating the transom revealed that there wasn't really one! Likewise with the stringers. So it hasn't gone back in the water this summer and it won't either. Cold wet weather during the winter slowed down a lot of the fibreglass work but I'm getting there, slowly. This summer my real work has been manic and relentless with very little free time so far, but this will ease off soon. So the plan is to have her back in the water next summer, totally tip top shape, with everything 100% and no corners cut.
    But...……………….already I am looking at Colvics, Mitchells, etc. I'm leaning more and more towards a simple diesel powered boat, with less frills, made more for fishing with more basic creature comforts. The Wellcraft has lots of room for fishing, but it also has more things to go wrong with it.
    And if and when I sell the Wellcraft, I'll most certainly lose money on it, on a simple cost analysis basis, without even considering my time. But that's not what it's about. If you get it, you get it. If you don't, then you don't. I understand some peoples' total lack of understanding in buying an old boat, spending an infinite amount of hours and money on restoring it and then selling it on to someone who will reap the benefits of your hard work. But they don't get the benefit of the sense of satisfaction, the expertise and experience gained, the pleasure gotten from creating something with your own hands. I'm like Wayne in this respect. It's an addiction of sorts. I have to be doing something. I hate being confined indoors when the weather is too bad to be outside pottering about. I look for things to do because I hate to waste time. It's such a finite resource and it's how I choose to spend it.
    My half baked notion to get another fixer upper, is percolating away, alongside some "cunning plan" to introduce the idea to my long suffering good woman. If only everyone shared my enthusiasm!
    So whatever you choose to do Wayne, the best of luck with it. I don't think I need to suggest that whenever you go to view any potential projects, you leave the rose tinted glasses at home. I think you're wise enough at this stage to be able to view something objectively and honestly, with your head and not your heart. And there's also the down side to being without a boat in between. On the rare and short lived occasions when I get back home, I always take a spin down to the harbour, just to look at the water, the boats, see who's about and to gaze sadly at my empty mooring!
    So, in the words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I can say about that".

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast