Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sailors are getting braver?

I get all sorts of statistics about my web site and one that really surprises me is that since Brexit started being headline news, my two best sellers have swooped position

French Canal Routes to the Med used to get just over 100 visits a day.
    Gentle sailing to the Med used to get around 20 visits a day.

This has now almost exactly reversed - Gentle Sailing to the Med currently getting just over 100 per day...

I wonder why? Is it that average boats are getting bigger and harder to do the canals in? Is it that because boats are bigger the outside route seems more attractive_ Are boat owners more knowledgeable about their navigational abilities due to inexpensive chart plotters or is it in some strange way connected to Brexit_ Why should the French Canal Route seem less attractive_

Default Re: Sailors are getting braver?

Reports of lack of water and boats seem to be getting bigger are possibilities

You can sail around the outside without having to clear into France ;-)

Canal maps now being easier to get free on internet, but that doesn't apply to pilot books, TSA's and paper charts of Biscay?

Anything over 1.6 and you can almost forget about going through the the canal , although I have heard of the odd boat making it with a 1.8 draft .
    Boats are getting much bigger so more are taken the out side route and a lots each years go with the rally more safety they think , I think I rather be on my own then haven 100 plus boats around me .

Now to put the cat amount the pigeons .
    If any thing I think there less knowledge people around these days then .
    We have GPS ,plotters the blame , when I read the sailing forum be it here on YBW or med sailing or any other everyday question on , what the best time to go from A to B ,how much Chain to I drop, what do this colour buoy mean , my AIS has stop working is it still safe to cross a shipping land , one question I read the other day one one wanted to leave Sicily to go to Malta and was asking how he could do it without crossing any shipping lanes as he head it was dangerous on and on , these are very basic stuff , and then along come some of the answer which can be worst then the question , I just have to wonder what are these people doing off shore in the first place .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

For even more fun, there is a “discussion” about sailaboutvic’s point on the OCC FB pages.

I think we have to conclude that sailing has got much safer with modern boats and modern gadgets.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post

I think we have to conclude that sailing has got much safer with modern boats and modern gadgets.
    But a lot less fun than when we did DR and had RDF and only a paper chart and sometimes a sextant...

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Anything over 1.6 and you can almost forget about going through the the canal , although I have heard of the odd boat making it with a 1.8 draft .
    Boats are getting much bigger so more are taken the out side route and a lots each years go with the rally more safety they think , I think I rather be on my own then haven 100 plus boats around me .

Now to put the cat amount the pigeons .
    If any thing I think there less knowledge people around these days then .
    We have GPS ,plotters the blame , when I read the sailing forum be it here on YBW or med sailing or any other everyday question on , what the best time to go from A to B ,how much Chain to I drop, what do this colour buoy mean , my AIS has stop working is it still safe to cross a shipping land , one question I read the other day one one wanted to leave Sicily to go to Malta and was asking how he could do it without crossing any shipping lanes as he head it was dangerous on and on , these are very basic stuff , and then along come some of the answer which can be worst then the question , I just have to wonder what are these people doing off shore in the first place .
    On the other hand perhaps we just hear about it more these days. There have always been incompetent people but they didn't used to have the internet to advertise themselves to the rest of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Devil View Post
    But a lot less fun than when we did DR and had RDF and only a paper chart and sometimes a sextant...
    I bet a lot of people couldn't tell you what a DR or DRF without goggle it , and as far as sextant goes some thing it a position in bed

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Wader View Post
    On the other hand perhaps we just hear about it more these days. There have always been incompetent people but they didn't used to have the internet to advertise themselves to the rest of the world.
    Take maybe the case . But you only got to watch people moor up or anchor which tell you a lot about them .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast