Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Sailors are getting braver?

In the days of RDF and towed logs, I used to enjoy putting my head through the companion hatch after a long battle with the Seafix and looking slowly and methodically round the horizon, smiling my best Mona Lisa smile, then quoting from ‘The Pirates of Penzance’ - ‘What a lovely spot! I wonder where we are?’

It doesn’t work when the helmsperson is looking at a chart plotter.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    In the days of RDF and towed logs, I used to enjoy putting my head through the companion hatch after a long battle with the Seafix and looking slowly and methodically round the horizon, smiling my best Mona Lisa smile, then quoting from ‘The Pirates of Penzance’ - ‘What a lovely spot! I wonder where we are?’

I don't remember that. In my case it was more a matter of failing to get even a bearing and popping my head up and saying 'I wonder where we are?'.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post

They really were better days as I remember them... Felt proud of my pilotage and navigation skills.. Now I just switch on the chart plotter and the only thing I keep up in the old way is the log book just in case I get hit by lightning again ... although it never strikes twice Im told

I'm reading Hiscock's Wandering Under Sail and am in awe of his very cool yet entirely credible accounts of UK coastal and cross-Channel passages. It's not easy to imagine today's yachtsman striking out for distant unfamiliar places with only Hiscock's drawer of charts, tables and compass.

I'm strongly persuaded to learn (and use every time out) the old-fashioned ways of navigating, while maintaining the modern kit on board for those hairy moments when charted info on paper, plus compass, mind and eyeball, don't resolve the question of location satisfactorily.

Equipping myself with the knowhow to calculate approximately where I must be, rather than merely consulting electronics to find out, is appealing for the same reason I want to sail rather than buy a ticket to my destination.

I only wonder whether, when the accuracy and immediacy of high-tech navigation is constantly available to every yachtsman, the practice of mentally calculating location for the satisfaction of doing so, may be considered a liability - like a driver judging his road speed by counting seconds between telegraph posts a known distance apart (not that I do that).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12