Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default hatch runners coming away, best way to fix?

The aluminium rails on the coachroof of my bradwell 18 are coming away, they seem to be attached by holes in the rail over very tiny studs. Seems like a good time to remove them and clean them up, as the hatch is a bit sticky in the slides. Whats the best way to treat them to get them running smooth and anyone any ideas how to refix them?
    hatchrail1.jpg hatchrail2.jpg hatchrail3.jpg

An ancillary question, I have removed the teak grab rails, they are seriously dried out with some big cracks. Can they be brought back to life? I'm thinking I should just replace them cos of the cracks, or mebbe try and restore them but use them on the inside of my other boat.
    Last edited by steve yates; 08-07-19 at 10:01.

Default Re: hatch runners coming away, best way to fix?

Can you force some colored epoxy into the cracks? My experience is that if done properly it would be barely noticeable.

But the other thing to keep in mind is if they won't support a stumbling crew member there could be a tragic loss of life.

One way of getting epoxy deep into cracks is to drill holes, say 10mm diameter, into the crack, at regular intervals along the crack. Use a sharp bit, preferably with ears so it forms a clean hole. If the side of the hole is furred up it will not work.
    Then using a small funnel slowly fill the holes with epoxy. This gets the fluid deep down & it should then run outwards along the full depth of the crack. Obviously things need to be warm as if the mixture is stiff it will not be drawn into the crack by capillary attraction.
    Keep filling the holes as required & one will see the cracks filling up from the bottom, without trapping air as they would when poured into the crack from above.
    I split my wooden mast once & I also drilled at right angles to the epoxied split & inserted a couple of 10mm grooved dowels. Not sure if it did any good but 50mm* 8 or 10mm grooved dowels in your teak grab rails might help.
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 08-07-19 at 13:26.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

I wouldn't trust my life on a glued handrail so would replace them with new which are available ready made if the sizes suit. Or get some made if not. Tbh the rails on small boats are often a bit undersized and I'd consider beefing them up a bit - the size should be dictated by the size of the crew not size of the boat.
    As far as your first enquiry is concerned I'm afraid I've no idea!

Re the hatch runners, I expect that the holes in the aluminium are corroded so not worth using those holes again.
    Why not look online for some small diameter threaded inserts to take 3mm bolts. You can screw those in & add a bit of epoxy.
    Then drill the deck & set those in place & use some short countersunk 3 mm bolts to hold down the runners.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

that's a good idea, thx

Just had a closer look, no corrosion in the holes at all. They were riveted down, the rivet heads have sneered off somehow.
    Can I pull the stubs out with pliers or is it cut them and drill them out?
    Might be simpler just to rerivet?

I would advise care in lubricating hatch-runners. I did it once and was pleased with the result until i found myself heading into some steep, choppy seas. Every time we started to climb a wave the hatch slid aft, only to side forward again when we were running down the other face of the wave, behaving like a horizontal guillotine and threatening to decapitate anyone who stuck their head through it.

It is not difficult to make a decent job of making teak grab rails, I made them in the past using just a jigsaw, a coarse Baco wood file and an electric sander. You need a length of 69x32 mm teak, mark out the profile and cut out the shape with the jigsaw, plane the corners off the top surface then form the rounded shape with the coarse wood file or surform. Then mechanically sand smooth and round, finishing by hand. Teak is soft and very easily worked so take care. When I did it the sawdust hazard had not registered but these days you should wear a mask when sanding. I had a baulk of real Burma teak which the supplier sawed and planed to various thicknesses for me back in about 74, it has lasted well, I used some last month to make two bookshelves for our current boat. Worth sourcing teak, it would be a much more difficult job in iroko or any of the othe alternatives.
    I drilled and bolted through from the top making some pellets to fill the holes from a bit of the scrap, it is worth keeping a drill bit specifically for this to match your pellet cutter as then the bolt holes can be close to invisible, a good way to hide the bolts below the deck is a replica grab rail on the underside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast