Default Stern Tube Greasers

Our Royal Storebro has classic stuffing boxes and screw pump greasers on each of the stern tubes.
    In days past Keenol was the best grease to use in these, now no longer available.
    I have just had to remove the two hoses that feed the grease from the pumps...one about 4 m long, because the newer grease is to hard/stiff and has become blocked. The leather washer has split in the pump as a result too.
    I have obtained new leather washers, cleared the hoses and will clean it all out.
    What grease are people using these days? the white grease I suspect is too thick?

Default Re: Stern Tube Greasers

I use a Shell grease called Naturelle Grease S5 V 120P 2. It has a wide temp range, and is biodegradeable and stays soft.

I discovered it when the Environment Agency obliged us to use it for the hydro-electic station underwater bearings.

https://www.shell.com/business-custo...ubricants.html

I have no doubt that other makes are available with similar performance specs.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Thanks, I see they do this too...may be better for stern tubes?
    Shell Naturelle S4 Stern Tube Fluid 100.
    Can't find where to buy the stuff though.
    Last edited by petrolhead63; 08-07-19 at 12:14.

The underwater bearing for the hydro are heavily loaded. I think that for Stern tubes the pressure is distributed over a greater area than the point loading in the thrust races we use.

Being 'keen', I scrape out the 18kg tubs of Naturelle grease used in the autogreaser system, and reload it into standard cartridges and small pots Also used for rudder bearings and the speed impeller tube.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

yes the Shell stuff appears to be in only large tubs for industrial use!