I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am

Default Rodel visitor moorings

One of the 3 visitor moorings in the pool at Rodel is in a parlous state - it looks fine but it is not attached to its block. It was the eastern most one & is now displaced to the north. The council harbours office is aware & will fix it. When all 3 are back in line, it's been fixed.
    Andersen 22. The best winch never made.
    miniwinwm.wixsite.com/miniwinwm

Default Re: Rodel visitor moorings

I'm confused. If it is literally "not attached to its block" surely the buoy would be winging its way over the horizon or washed up on the nearest beach already?

Richard

You'd think so, wouldn't you? However, although I couldn't see what was going on down there, I could drag it around with my weedy outboard engine with no effort at all, so I'm guessing it's only chain & not attached to anything. It remains where I dragged it, so it's not completely free.

is there much point to worrying about the moorings? The hotel looked entirely covered in scaffolding when we passed a day or two ago. Other than a very curious anchorage, some of the attraction is lost.

Acarsaid Mhor on Eriskay still has 2 visitor moorings, though they don't look as if they have been touched in years. The volume of weed hanging off them is of epic proportions. One appears to have a sticker dated 2007! There is still room to anchor away from the other private moorings.

Quote Originally Posted by pagoda View Post
    is there much point to worrying about the moorings? The hotel looked entirely covered in scaffolding when we passed a day or two ago. Other than a very curious anchorage, some of the attraction is lost.
    I'm just reporting information, not expressing an opinion. If you don't like it, don't go there. There are plenty of people who do.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusMcDoon View Post
    You'd think so, wouldn't you? However, although I couldn't see what was going on down there, I could drag it around with my weedy outboard engine with no effort at all, so I'm guessing it's only chain & not attached to anything. It remains where I dragged it, so it's not completely free.
    I hadn't realised that you personally had actually tested the mooring and were speaking from first-hand experience. I wonder what has actually happened down there?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by AngusMcDoon View Post
    One of the 3 visitor moorings in the pool at Rodel is in a parlous state - it looks fine but it is not attached to its block. It was the eastern most one & is now displaced to the north. The council harbours office is aware & will fix it. When all 3 are back in line, it's been fixed.
    Thanks for giving that information. Most people, having picked up a mooring, don't expect to have to check whether it's attached to anything. I don't often use visitors moorings, but Rodel, though quite small, is also quite deep, so I have used them in the past.

The hotel is no longer a hotel but a private residence. Rumour is it may yet turn into a hotel of sorts again some day.
    The local council have obviously not learned the lesson of several years ago when a yacht went ashore after one of the (edit, neglected) Rodel moorings failed and they had to pay compensation of several £ thousand.

Sounds as though the riser has parted company from the anchor or block, so there's just the weight of the chain on the buoy now.

Neglected moorings are worse than no mooring at all...

Rodel is surprisingly deep though, we struggled to find a shallow spot to anchor in and when we did, we nearly didn't get the anchor back- not sure what it was catching on.
    Moody 39- Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer