Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Trickiest harbours in the UK to sail to...

Salcombe for sure

Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    Arisaig could be interesting
    Been there, done that (under sail), got the t-shirt. With a south or west wind it's peasy. Wouldn't like to have to tack in.

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    Most Harbours had conveniently placed warping points and posts where a long line could be taken and the vessel warped closer.

I saw a Thames Barge as a kid doing just that in Ramsgate once.
    As I recall, Porthmadog harbour has a small artificial island in the middle for warping. Or am I thinking of somewhere else?

Kirkcudbright is fun. Once you've timed it right to get over the bar, the tide increases as you get to the pontoons and if you miss the hour or so of slack water it's 3kt floods and anything up to 5kt ebbs, depending on how hard Tongland power station is working. When I had a berth there (inside face of the pontoon) I always felt it was cheating to use the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisclaydon View Post
    The docks at Salford quays, via Manchester Ship Canal. We did it, although we did have to use the motor on a few bits where the wind died between trees and derelict factories. One of the swing bridges has a canal in it, they swing the bridge full of water! A chase team follow you in a van to operate the locks and bridges because there isn't enough traffic on the canal to staff them properly. We were the first sailing vessel in Manchester for decades as far as I know, this was about 15 years ago.
    Being from Manchester this is a trip I always wanted to make and overewinter at Salford Quays. Envy.
    The chase team doing the locks and bridges sounds similar to the team who do the locks and bridges from the Marsh lock off the Ship Canal at Ellesmere and then down the Weaver to Northwich.

Quote Originally Posted by C08 View Post
    Being from Manchester this is a trip I always wanted to make and overewinter at Salford Quays. Envy.
    The chase team doing the locks and bridges sounds similar to the team who do the locks and bridges from the Marsh lock off the Ship Canal at Ellesmere and then down the Weaver to Northwich.
    Neither the Weaver nor Salford are feasible under sail though, surely? I strongly doubt the £8 fee I paid for two men in a van to operate locks and bridges between Frodsham and Jalsea Marine in Northwich over the course of a day can still be viable after the demise of the hyper-inefficient British Waterways? I have fond memories of being berated at the Leigh Arms at Acton Bridge where I had had the temerity to include a lunch stop.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 11-07-19 at 17:38.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hial View Post
    I think Lybster harbour would be very tricky under sail.
    Did Lybster with a Honda 2.3hp on my Folkboat; wouldn't advise it for the faint hearted!
    Folkboat 'Stakkr' - Inverness - http://islandrov.wix.com/island-rov-web

Quote Originally Posted by C08 View Post
    That's exactly what I did - I lived in Manchester and brought the yacht up to salford quays for the winter. Much cheaper than Liverpool and handy to nip down and work on it. Salford quays is very close to Ordsall a very rough area but there was a guy with a big dutch barge houseboat moored in the middle of the dock, not against the wall, with a long, gated gangway for security. He rented out berths alongside his barge to us and the occasional narrowboat which strayed out into the ship canal. As far as I know he is still there if you fancy doing the trip and over-wintering. If I remember rightly his name is John Wassell and he runs a theatre company (and previously a theatre ship). Your yacht would be stripped of all valuables within hours if you tied it to the wall! Things may have changed now that the BBC are based at the quays.

It cost about 100 pounds for the trip and we had to have a ship canal approved surveyor inspect the yacht (just a safety equipment check, not a full survey) before going in, which was a formality.
    It's a fascinating trip through the post industrial landscape and not much about the canal has changed in 100 years, the lock gates are still water-powered, pulled open by chains from unseen water wheels powered by water from the water towers next to them.
    We sailed for most of the route up to manchester with the engine running on standby but we were lucky to have a strong cross-wind.

On the way back out we had to motor. It was so unusual for the Centenary bridge in Trafford Park to open back then that a lorry didn't expect it and drove straight through the gates as they closed! Took them 3 hours to fix it and open the bridge so we arrived at Eastham locks (exit to the Mersey estuary) in the dark. No locks on the last half of the canal before that so they had changed shift and forgotten about us! The lock keeper was a bit miffed that we had continued in the dark but he let us out - there were no bunks on board and 5 people, we were not spending the night there!
    Last edited by chrisclaydon; 12-07-19 at 21:43.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    There must be loads where this dying art is seldom practised.

Used to enjoy the following all under sail only.

Out of Rothesay and up round the Kyles of Bute going through caladah on the way. Had access to a Sigma 33 and no fear!

On my friends Spring 25 up the Hamble to the pub at the end opposite Moodys Yard. Beer and sail back, no engine used. (wouldnt do the beer now!)

Had use of a Sadler 34 out of Gosport and used to make ourselves really popular sailing into Bembridge, up the river to Bucklers Hard, up the river at Lymington to the town quay....often bottled and used engine last 20 metres but great for sailing back out again and marinas like Ocean village in Southampton and right up to the lock gates at Port Solent.

Wouldnt be allowed now
    That's impressive, didn't realise you could sail to Bucklers Hard & Lymington Town Quay by way of Bembridge!

Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    I reckon Keyhaven would be a challenge.
    Only on LW springs.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast