Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Trickiest harbours in the UK to sail to...

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Murphy View Post
    I’ve never dared, but Tollesbury must be a bit of a so-and-so
    I once sailed a Sadler 29 with a failed engine after a blown gasket from Maylandsea to Tollesbury in a gale when my potential assistants all chickened out. It was quite interesting and I had a lot of ropes and anchors at the ready. We had already been allotted a berth on A but as we made our way in under bare poles it looked as if there were no spaces on A, so we decided on discretion and slotted into a berth on B. With nobody around, we checked in at the office, who said "can you move round to A-whatever", and we replied "No we bloody can't, not without an engine thank you". No witnesses, of course.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

A very interesting question, I have no answer to the UK section..

if Norwegian candidates are allowable, we ghosted dead downwind into Kristiansand last week, about 5M, close between the rocks, and got within 1/4M of the gjesthaven before the wind died completely, so near but so far, and anchored after valiant attempts at kinetics and dynamics (wagging the tiller and manually flapping the sails..)

After 150M crossing the Skagerrak from Denmark to Norway, I was unable to enter Risør one time under sail as the wind was blowing straight into the harbour, and I could enter in fine style but not guarantee stopping..so had to do a U turn, sail out, heave to and have a sleep, until the wind veered onto the beam 12 hours later.
    This kind of delay I think would have been normal before engines, it's a good school to put yourself through, seeing pilotage problems through different eyes. And it's for fun, you don't have a hold full of herring beginning to smell, an excise cutter in the offing, just..good luck making it into the office at 9AM tomorrow..!
    Dinghy racers as crew seem relatively accepting of doing stuff under sail alone, maybe having more faith in their ability to use the wind..
    good subject to discuss!

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Wouldnt be allowed now
    Of course it's allowed. Just that you'd be met with the same 'unwelcome' that we were a few years ago at Shepards Marina when we sailed into our allocated berth in the middle after our engine failed. The guy organising the berthing wasn't impressed, even though by some miracle we arrived and berthed perfectly and under control.

You just can't please some people

Bucklers Hard,Hamble, Keyhaven, Shephards, Ashlett, Newtown and Shamrock - done all these singlehanded under sail in a junk rig. Knowing that all sail can be dropped and engine on in one second is a great confidence booster.
    Last edited by chrisedwards; 09-07-19 at 07:13.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisedwards View Post
    Bucklers Hard,Hamble, Keyhaven, Shephards, Ashlett and Shamrock - done all these singlehanded under sail in a junk rig. Knowing that all sail can be dropped and engine on in one second is a great confidence booster.
    I watched you sail your junk-rigged ketch ("Dragonfly"?) single-handed into Newtown Creek and come to anchor in 2010 and I was very impressed by the skill you demonstrated then.

DSC02990.jpg
    " Brexit is like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

I think Lybster harbour would be very tricky under sail.

At home, I have an old map of a harbour town, complete with sailing directions for entering the harbour
    ......."Ships of Burden should steer boldly in, keeping the Iron Craig exactly between the two Heads, until the ship strikes the bottom, which is soft mud and ooze"........
    Presumably only to be attempted on a flood tide, when it would make a lot of sense, and as the tide rose, the ship would be warped into her berth.

Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    I reckon Keyhaven would be a challenge.
    Done that one several times... fine if you have a <30ft length <3ft draught, and sails like a big dinghy!

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    Most Harbours had conveniently placed warping points and posts where a long line could be taken and the vessel warped closer.

I saw a Thames Barge as a kid doing just that in Ramsgate once.
    Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    I think a lot less was done purely by sail power than people imagine.
    Horses, capstans, manual force were all used frequently.
    "Racundra's First Cruise" (Arthur Ransome) makes it very clear that even small vessels a) expected to use warps to manouvre in harbour and b) expected to lose paint on a regular basis! And Ransome had a professional mariner on board, not to mention the anonymous "cook", who was Trotsky's secretary and (at that time) Ransome's Significant Other - but not married as he hadn't divorced his first wife at that time!

Aberdeen. They allowed me in but I had to wait an hour before they slipped me in between two supply boats. Wouldn't have let me in if they saw sails, I suspect. So, pretty tricky.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast