Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Trickiest harbours in the UK to sail to...

Seaton at the mouth of the River Axe isn't easy.
    Except for people from Seaton YC
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by dgadee View Post
    Aberdeen. They allowed me in but I had to wait an hour before they slipped me in between two supply boats. Wouldn't have let me in if they saw sails, I suspect. So, pretty tricky.
    Best answer!

Quote Originally Posted by AngusMcDoon View Post
    Here's the approach to Berneray harbour, which is at the top left.
    Yon Berneray's a whole lot easier on a BA chart....

As for ports 'n harbours accessible under sail, it's not so very long ago - still in living memory. Ask Saint Tom Cunliffe - that most commercial goods were shifted around the UK and also to and from European ports by sailing barges without engines. That implies there were thousands of masters of such craft who were skilled in working their lumbering, laden craft up river, creeks and pills, on the rise of tide, and back out again.

Fully-rigged ships used the tide to work up-river into Bristol and, no doubt, to many other places.

As mentioned above, that includes 'drudging', a technique still of occasional use to us, even today.

I once had to sail into Portsmouth when the engine died in a lumpy 7. The wind was coming over the forts and couldn't make up its mind whether it wanted to come round from the south, round from the north, over the fort from the west or curl over to attack me from the east. I had every variant, swapping at random. Then Brittany Ferries decided they wanted to play. Not nice...
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    I once had to sail into Portsmouth when the engine died in a lumpy 7. The wind was coming over the forts and couldn't make up its mind whether it wanted to come round from the south, round from the north, over the fort from the west or curl over to attack me from the east. I had every variant, swapping at random. Then Brittany Ferries decided they wanted to play. Not nice...
    Have sailed twice into Pompey on two different yachts with fouled propellor problems, one of them a beat.

Both times called QHM who gave permission to enter and delayed ferry traffic until we had rounded ballast buoy and reported. Top geezers!

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Have sailed twice into Pompey on two different yachts with fouled propellor problems, one of them a beat.

Both times called QHM who gave permission to enter and delayed ferry traffic until we had rounded ballast buoy and reported. Top geezers!
    Were you then, by any chance, sailing floaty things with RNSA or White ensigns? Did you have the QHM's private mobo number...? Was there an admiral's son on board or, better still, an admiral?

Try Whitehills in the Moray Firth.

I (motored) into the entrance wondering if there really was a harbour or if it was a dead end. Then miraculously a gap appeared on port side and one of the smallest basins I have been in.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    Were you then, by any chance, sailing floaty things with RNSA or White ensigns? Did you have the QHM's private mobo number...? Was there an admiral's son on board or, better still, an admiral?
    Nah. One was a brand new Jenneau that I had picked up from the Hamble after its very first splash and the other was one of my own charter yachts.

You just have to ask politely.

Fred drift but if you want to seriously concentrate the mind, sail into Grenada marine up a wriggly channel lined with coral. To get the best rush, do this on your liveaboard yacht containing all your worldly goods including an oil soaked engine compartment from a blown rocker box cover gasket.

Tip, get your wife to steer the yacht in a series of short tacks whilst you operate the headsail sheets and lean over the side watching for coral heads.
    Last edited by capnsensible; 09-07-19 at 12:08.

Once had to sail into Nelson's Dockyard with a broken gearbox - during Antigua Race Week. Got a nice round of applause.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusMcDoon View Post
    By sail to, I mean by wind alone, not chugging along with the main up. ...For Wales I reckon Menai Bridge from the south west...
    Here's us under Britannia bridge aiming for Menai; it's a standard 3-peaks passage.

brittania_bridge.jpg

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast