Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: Trickiest harbours in the UK to sail to...

Staithes, north Yorkshire.

DCP_5031.JPGDCP_5045.JPG

Google maps view https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.56...1!1e3?hl=en-GB

On my approach, late in the day, I couldn't see the entrance through my bins, but went for it anyway, not knowing what to expect. The entrance is frighteningly narrow, and one false move would spell disaster. There were people fishing off the harbour wall, and many came to catch my lines; which was fortunate because I had no plan. The tide went out, and left me sitting in the mud, so I trudged through the quagmire to reach the village. then found a hosepipe and washed myself down. After a few pints, I made my way back to the boat, just as the tide began to rise. It was a long night, as the wind increased, and I set an alarm for every half hour, so I could check I wasn't drifting. Next day it was bright sunshine, with a near gale. When it died down, I took the dinghy and tied up properly to the harbour wall, with two anchors deployed to hold me off. The whole episode was a grand adventure, never to repeated.

Quote Originally Posted by elton View Post
    Staithes, north Yorkshire.

DCP_5031.JPGDCP_5045.JPG

Google maps view https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.56...1!1e3?hl=en-GB

On my approach, late in the day, I couldn't see the entrance through my bins, but went for it anyway, not knowing what to expect. The entrance is frighteningly narrow, and one false move would spell disaster. There were people fishing off the harbour wall, and many came to catch my lines; which was fortunate because I had no plan. The tide went out, and left me sitting in the mud, so I trudged through the quagmire to reach the village. then found a hosepipe and washed myself down. After a few pints, I made my way back to the boat, just as the tide began to rise. It was a long night, as the wind increased, and I set an alarm for every half hour, so I could check I wasn't drifting. Next day it was bright sunshine, with a near gale. When it died down, I took the dinghy and tied up properly to the harbour wall, with two anchors deployed to hold me off. The whole episode was a grand adventure, never to repeated.
    A few pints in the 'Cod & Lobster'.

I know Staithes well because my parents owned a cottage there, right on the foreshore, on the corner facing the pub, so I've had many happy holidays there. I have never sailed there but it would be a tricky entrance in bad conditions. The cobles used to go in and out in all weathers; a dangerous business.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    A few pints in the 'Cod & Lobster'.

I know Staithes well because my parents owned a cottage there, right on the foreshore, on the corner facing the pub, so I've had many happy holidays there. I have never sailed there but it would be a tricky entrance in bad conditions. The cobles used to go in and out in all weathers; a dangerous business.
    Cod & Lobster

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Have sailed twice into Pompey on two different yachts with fouled propellor problems, one of them a beat.

Both times called QHM who gave permission to enter and delayed ferry traffic until we had rounded ballast buoy and reported. Top geezers!
    I called QHM, asking for permission to sail in as my engine had failed, hoping they'd say no and send the Harbour Patrol to give me a tow, but they just told me to go ahead.

It was the last time I left the harbour without moving the dinghy outboard to the boat's transom bracket. 3 1/2 HP pushes a little Snapdragon along quite nicely in smooth water.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

I always find the one I am currently entering the most difficult!
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    "Racundra's First Cruise" (Arthur Ransome) makes it very clear that even small vessels a) expected to use warps to manouvre in harbour and b) expected to lose paint on a regular basis! And Ransome had a professional mariner on board, not to mention the anonymous "cook", who was Trotsky's secretary and (at that time) Ransome's Significant Other - but not married as he hadn't divorced his first wife at that time!
    Adlard Coles later adventures in the same boat (renamed) gives the cautionary tale of being too cocky as one of his and his wife's attempts to short tack into harbour swept the bowsprit over the pier-head causing considerable demolition. I use the tale to reassure the Navigator when we struggle, even great men can get it wrong.

As to warping in, I have seen this done with a modern freighter at Sharpness lock. The tide runs 2 to 4 kts across the narrow entrance and is hard enough for us tiddlers who must charge in full speed. A great big cargo ship could cause a lot of damage charging in so as wind and tide were not slack the vessel concerned moored to the flanking wall outside of the lock and was then winched round the corner and into the lock. I expect paint was scraped but neither ship or lock was at risk of needing repairs
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by AngusMcDoon View Post
    By sail to, I mean by wind alone, not chugging along with the main up. For Scotland I propose Berneray harbour, Sound of Harris. For Wales I reckon Menai Bridge from the south west, for Northern Ireland Portaferry. For England, I'll leave it open.
    Menai Bridge from the SW, easy-peasy. Just go arou d 5he top of the island as many permanent berth holders at Beaumaris etc do, engined or otherwise, from severe Swellieophobia. I'd challenge anyone to sail in or out of Fiddler's Ferry on the upper Mersey, it's a frightening enough prospect with a decent engine. And yes, the tidal curve is correct.
    Screenshot_20190710-152608_Boating HD.jpg
    Last edited by Quiddle; 10-07-19 at 17:21.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Arisaig Bay-not that I would try it.
    The last time I was there using my 1868 chart and a Google earth ariel photo it was enough under power.
    A heavy swell and very confused waves which had already thrown me across my deckhouse and heading fingers crossed towards a wall of rock then peace and a flat calm.

I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am

Quote Originally Posted by ffiill View Post
    Arisaig Bay-not that I would try it.
    The last time I was there using my 1868 chart and a Google earth ariel photo it was enough under power.
    A heavy swell and very confused waves which had already thrown me across my deckhouse and heading fingers crossed towards a wall of rock then peace and a flat calm.
    Antares charts has made the navigation considerably less nerve-wracking, but still a tricky entrance.

The docks at Salford quays, via Manchester Ship Canal. We did it, although we did have to use the motor on a few bits where the wind died between trees and derelict factories. One of the swing bridges has a canal in it, they swing the bridge full of water! A chase team follow you in a van to operate the locks and bridges because there isn't enough traffic on the canal to staff them properly. We were the first sailing vessel in Manchester for decades as far as I know, this was about 15 years ago.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast