Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 71
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,771

    Default Re: Trickiest harbours in the UK to sail to...

    Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    Only on LW springs.
    Lots of quite easy ones quoted here already, if you really can sail.

    But if for sailing to a berth with no engine, or no outboard or dinghy towing, then Porlock Weir in a SW wind must be the ultimate challenge. I could do it easily in a sailing dinghy, but you'd be tacking every 15 feet at the narrow bit. Or it could be done in a straight luff to windward in a very heavy boat but god help anyone already in the tiny pool if you did not get it dead right.

    When it was a working harbour I'm sure boat were towed in and out with oars if needed. It was certainly raided by Vikings 1000 years ago who just possibly knew how to use oars as well as swords and axes.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Trickiest harbours in the UK to sail to...

    Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Bristol would be hard work.
    Not "would" but "is"��

    It's not the manoeuvres but the tidal window. Very few refuges and hours of faster-than-boat tide. Too early at Avonmouth and you can swing on by and too late and you'll never get there!

    Not tried it but the trick may be to hold up in Portishead pool and or use the counter eddy there.
    Last edited by mattonthesea; 14-07-19 at 14:38.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    228

    Default Re: Trickiest harbours in the UK to sail to...

    Rye?

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bristol Channel
    Posts
    858

    Default Re: Trickiest harbours in the UK to sail to...

    Quote Originally Posted by mattonthesea View Post
    Not "would" but "is"��

    It's not the manoeuvres but the tidal window. Very few refuges and hours of faster-than-boat tide. Too early at Avonmouth and you can swing on by and too late and you'll never get there! Not tried it but the trick may be to hold up in Portishead pool and or use the counter eddy there.
    Getting as far as Pill on the River Avon not bad on a rising tide, and if tide is turning against you you can wait in Portishead Pool (The Hole) or anchor in the back eddy the next bay up. However the Avon has few anchoring spots so getting beyond Pill (Crockern Pill) a problem and its a deep sided valley so no wind unless its directly up or down the river at that particular bend. Even I have never attempted to get to the mooring at Chapel Pill by sail alone.

    Boats used to tie up against the bank and wait next tide. Interesting with 10m tidal range. Much patience needed to get to Bristol and boats were usually assisted by towing from rowing boats from Pill. Many a boat went aground and quite few were wrecked or flooded.
    A boat is for going places

  5. #65
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Trickiest harbours in the UK to sail to...

    Mayflower Marina in Plymouth - that tide takes you sideways entering that marina. A proper tricky marina to get in/out of, or you just go somewhere else in Plymouth like yacht haven or qab!

  6. #66
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    6,083

    Default Re: Trickiest harbours in the UK to sail to...

    Whitby is tricky. There's a strong cross current as you enter, and the river Esk brings down debris from the country above Whitby. I managed the former, but just as I was congratulating myself on a safe entrance, a lump of wood brought down by the river caught the propeller and stopped the engine! Got onto a buoy and got a tow in, but not a good experience.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's
    Posts
    4,787

    Default Re: Trickiest harbours in the UK to sail to...

    Quote Originally Posted by ocdale View Post
    Mayflower Marina in Plymouth - that tide takes you sideways entering that marina. A proper tricky marina to get in/out of, or you just go somewhere else in Plymouth like yacht haven or qab!
    At least one local boat sails in and out of Torpoint Ballast Pond...
    Substance over style

  8. #68
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,215

    Default Re: Trickiest harbours in the UK to sail to...

    If say Salcombe has to be the trickiest by far. The harbour itself isnít too bad but avoiding the harbourmasters launch as they home in on you for their Iíll gotten gains can be really challenging lol

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    River Itchen, Southampton
    Posts
    7,076

    Default Re: Trickiest harbours in the UK to sail to...

    Quote Originally Posted by AngusMcDoon View Post
    By sail to, I mean by wind alone, not chugging along with the main up. For Scotland I propose Berneray harbour, Sound of Harris. For Wales I reckon Menai Bridge from the south west, for Northern Ireland Portaferry. For England, I'll leave it open.
    Chelsea harbour.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    703

    Default Re: Trickiest harbours in the UK to sail to...

    Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    Getting as far as Pill on the River Avon not bad on a rising tide, and if tide is turning against you you can wait in Portishead Pool (The Hole) or anchor in the back eddy the next bay up. However the Avon has few anchoring spots so getting beyond Pill (Crockern Pill) a problem and its a deep sided valley so no wind unless its directly up or down the river at that particular bend. Even I have never attempted to get to the mooring at Chapel Pill by sail alone.

    Boats used to tie up against the bank and wait next tide. Interesting with 10m tidal range. Much patience needed to get to Bristol and boats were usually assisted by towing from rowing boats from Pill. Many a boat went aground and quite few were wrecked or flooded.
    I have sailed to Bristol from Portishead (although I confess I had to put the engine on once I got to the Cumberland Basin as I had to hang around for 10 mins whilst they swung the bridge. The main challenge was the wind eddies around horseshoe bend. I should also note that it was on a 20foot trailer sailor which would easily dry out if I got it wrong.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to