Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Good job it doesnt strike twice...

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Wasn't the 'old' remedy hanging some anchor chain from the mast & over the side, to make a good earthing route.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon nan Gruagach View Post
    Anchor....
    probably the only thing to be undamaged.

Having just watched it at quarter speed, it really is horrendous and, as Yngmar says, the GRP will have been liberally splattered with bits of molten metal, so I reckon the owner would be quite keen on seeing the poor thing put out of its misery. I certainly wouldn't want to trust the hull & chainplate integrity after that.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

One more fun fact pointed out to me by the owner of a very fancy carbon fibre boat last year:

Carbon fibre hulls (and spars) conduct electricity, but not as well as metal hulls and spars (higher resistance). So they get very hot when struck and the resin infused into the carbon fibre strands flashes away (if trapped, in an explosive fashion), leaving mostly un-infused carbon fibre behind, which has all the structural strength of a wet sock. The boat and/or mast revert back to a bunch of floppy, hot cloth that instantly collapses.

I can't find a photo of a boat this happened to, but apparently it occasionally happens to fishermen with hi-tech rods. Here's one example:

Good job he wasn't trying to reel something in! I imagine that anyone who gets the full force of a big strike would be in a similar state.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12