Default VHF channels in Italian waters

A family member is taking a RIB to a dinghy event in Italy soon. When in UK they habitually use channel 37/M to communicate amongst the regatta organisers and attendant boats.
    Is this OK in Italy? I seem to recall that 37 is reserved for other purposes. I've tried Google but can't get a definitive answer.

Default Re: VHF channels in Italian waters

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tribe View Post
    A family member is taking a RIB to a dinghy event in Italy soon. When in UK they habitually use channel 37/M to communicate amongst the regatta organisers and attendant boats.
    Is this OK in Italy? I seem to recall that 37 is reserved for other purposes. I've tried Google but can't get a definitive answer.
    Channel M1 which is actually Channel 37a is peculiar to the UK .Various other EU countries have their own channels for similar purposes. I am sure a brief email to the organisers will assertain if his equipment will cover the channels being used.
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.

Why not use one of the international ship - ship channels?

Quote Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
    Why not use one of the international ship - ship channels?
    If it is a busy regatta etc it is usual in this country for clubs to avoid international channels out of politeness. Maybe similar protocols elsewhere.
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.