Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Farymann diesel engine in vetus generator

I have a vetus GSH4SIK generator with a Farymann 15W or 18W (cant get at name plate yet)

Its been running fine for last year or two but last night the engine speed started racing away with itself.

Let it cool retried and it starts fine and runs at target speed of 3000 rpm ( I believe thats correct) then after a few minutes it began increasing in revs quite dramarically.

Anyone had any similar experiences and what do you think could be the cause.

Reading the manual I see there is a mechanical govenor needs special tools to remo e adjust etc.

Default Re: Farymann diesel engine in vetus generator

Quote Originally Posted by blaze_away View Post
    I have a vetus GSH4SIK generator with a Farymann 15W or 18W (cant get at name plate yet)

Its been running fine for last year or two but last night the engine speed started racing away with itself.

Let it cool retried and it starts fine and runs at target speed of 3000 rpm ( I believe thats correct) then after a few minutes it began increasing in revs quite dramarically.

Anyone had any similar experiences and what do you think could be the cause.

Reading the manual I see there is a mechanical govenor needs special tools to remo e adjust etc.
    How bad is the blow by....ie the crankcase pressure. IF you dip the sump oil then rub your fingers in the oil on the dipstick do your fingers smell of diesel.
    When did you last change the sump oil ?
    If you have blow by and a diesel smell on your fingers then you could be getting runaway where the engine is running on the diesel in the lube oil. You need to change the sump oil and in future change the oil more frequently.
    If no blow by and no diesel smelling oil, it could be a governor fault.
    Last edited by Bilgediver; 09-07-19 at 21:32.
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.

Thats a great thought. Really appreciated. Will go take a look later today.

Thanks
    Frank

Oil is not smelling or feeling of diesel, but will change it anyway.

Now on to next issue, how does one drain the oil from a Farymann 15W in a Vetus GHS4SIK.

The oil drain/sump plug is inside the casing with no means to drain oil other than allowing it to spill all over the insides making one hell of a mess. Thanks Vetus nice design.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilgediver View Post
    How bad is the blow by....ie the crankcase pressure. IF you dip the sump oil then rub your fingers in the oil on the dipstick do your fingers smell of diesel.
    When did you last change the sump oil ?
    If you have blow by and a diesel smell on your fingers then you could be getting runaway where the engine is running on the diesel in the lube oil. You need to change the sump oil and in future change the oil more frequently.
    If no blow by and no diesel smelling oil, it could be a governor fault.
    Blowby normally occurs when worn/damaged rings allow combustion gasses to escape into the sump increasing the pressure. The increased pressure blows oil out of the breather which is connected to the inlet manifold. The engine then starts to run on the excess engine oil. Diesel would normally only get into the lube via a failed seal on the lift pump or injector pump. Oil can get in to the inlet manifold from a blown turbo too, but I guess your genset isnt turbo!

If the engine can be stopped normally by the fuel cut off solenoid, then its not blowby. If it is feeding on its own lube, then it cant be stopped by cutting the diesel supply, and things get pretty scary as it races to destruction. I had anengine that would accumulate enough oil in the manifold, would run away violently until it cleared themanifold, and would then return to normal operation. Run it more than half throttle and it would run away again until it cleared itself.

Another symptom of runaway is spectacular clouds of acrid smoke from the exhaust.

Last edited by oldharry; 10-07-19 at 15:24.
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

Thats useful. I can stop with the "stop" button, but takes a little longer than normal to stop it. No smoke either.

Oil change wont hurt so will pursue that and do it anyway.

As it runs ok for minute or two is it reasonable to expect its more likely to be sticky rather that broken ?

Got quite some detail in the repair manual except where on the engine the govenor is. Gives details on its strip down and rebuild but not where it is. Ah well will have to start pulling bits off see whats in there.

Had a similar farryman engine, on a zise genny

A regular problem with ours was the adjuster lock nut to the governor control would come loose and fall off. then the screw would undo and the engine speed rise. think it happened about 6 times in 3000 hours.

Surprisingly easy to fix as it was behind the little oval plate at the front, near the front pulley. be prepared with a 10mm nut to replace the missing one.

adjustment was pretty easy as well , got it down to 15 min from start to finish, as was always afraid to over tighten the locknut, as the governor arm is alloy.

PS no special tools required, 10mm spanner/ socket , screwdriver etc. this screw does not alter the fueling of the pump delivery, just the running speed,

and I left the lost nuts in the sump without detriment
    Last edited by david_bagshaw; 11-07-19 at 15:19.
    David

Thumbs up Re: Farymann diesel engine in vetus generator

Quote Originally Posted by david_bagshaw View Post
    Had a similar farryman engine, on a zise genny

A regular problem with ours was the adjuster lock nut to the governor control would come loose and fall off. then the screw would undo and the engine speed rise. think it happened about 6 times in 3000 hours.

Surprisingly easy to fix as it was behind the little oval plate at the front, near the front pulley. be prepared with a 10mm nut to replace the missing one.

adjustment was pretty easy as well , got it down to 15 min from start to finish, as was always afraid to over tighten the locknut, as the governor arm is alloy.

PS no special tools required, 10mm spanner/ socket , screwdriver etc. this screw does not alter the fueling of the pump delivery, just the running speed,

and I left the lost nuts in the sump without detriment
    That's worth a try, thank you.

Is it the panel marked here that needs to come off ?

Farymann.jpg

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

This is a manual for the small farymann diessels

https://www.maritimepropulsion.com/files/pdf/1001278

Pages 62,63 and 64 give info on setting the governor
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Thanks for the link. Still trying to identify exactly where that oval cover is. Cant readily find it on mine, maybe its hidden by the casing that vetus have enclosed the whole unit in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast