Page 1 of 21 12345611 ... LastLast

Default Anchor thread with a lesson

There not been an anchoring thread for a while , maybe after so many we all leaned how to anchor .
    Here an interest lesson, I'm not sure how many time people have try to convince me that there no need to rev on a anchor , the weight and the chain with a little bit of wind will do the job and as long as the chain it bar tight there no way your going to drag , I sure some have said it here too.
    I alway given up on the argument because there no winners with some people who think the know it all.
    Yesterday we arrived in Villefrancehe after a wild sail through thunderstorms with winds the topped 41 kts , in the bay the wind had drop quite a lot we anchored in 16 mts as a temporary stop the get ourself sorted and give the wind time to stop . Not planning to stay and being tied , we set the anchor at 1600 rpm , this is much lower then we normally do we would let it sit on 2000/2200rpm for a few second before calling it a day , but the chain was tight and we wasn't moving , the wind picked up again and drop and kept doing this , around 18 to 20 kts , although we didn't Seen to be dragging , I just got this feeling we was , took a sight and when check again we some time later we had move very slightly .
    We decided as we had a rest we move to a better spot , for over half an hour we tried to haul up the anchor tripping the breaker time and time , until in the end up came our anchor with an old spider anchor attached, a good two and half metes long with only one spike left .
    Just goes to show with a combine weight of our 25 kg anchor 65 mts of 10mm chain which weight around 160 kg plus god knows what the old anchor weight a lot more then our anchor and chain put to gather , force five wind is stronger then reverse back at 1600rpm with a bladed prop .
    If a hadn't notice the little movement and stayed for the night the next thunderstorm would had us on the shore .
    has getting the anchor and untangle it in little wind was one thing doing it in a blow would had been impossible a meant cutting the anchor free .
    Lesson here If a yacht engine pull your anchor out , you have no chance in a blow .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Default Re: Anchor thread with a lesson

Sorry, but if you were dragging in 18 - 20 knots of wind, there's something wrong with your gear or method.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Sorry, but if you were dragging in 18 - 20 knots of wind, there's something wrong with your gear or method.
    Troll... or should I say Trawl....

Just goes to show that experience and gut instinct count for a lot.

Interesting read, thanks.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Nothing wrong with gear , we just wasn't anchored full stop , but being help by this lump of old steel.
    But thanks for your comment any way .
    you missed the point of the posting ,or maybe the way I explained it .
    which was that people who think their anchor is set because the chain looks tight as the wind blows the boat back or once that are afraid to put on the REV to set anchor in case there engine pulls the anchor back out are very must mistaken and when the wind start to blow don't be surprise when you drag .

Did you set the anchor by pulling it back with your engine?

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    Did you set the anchor by pulling it back with your engine?
    I know the posting was a bit long winded and at times my posting can be hard to read ,
    but please try and read it first before asking question .
    Safe you the trouble, yes we did .

It's strange but I always set my engines to 2000 revs for a 10 seconds or so to test that the anchor is set and the chain is tight.

2000 seems about right but it's not based on any science .... it just feels right.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Nothing wrong with gear , we just wasn't anchored full stop , but being help by this lump of old steel.
    But thanks for your comment any way .
    you missed the point of the posting ,or maybe the way I explained it .
    which was that people who think their anchor is set because the chain looks tight as the wind blows the boat back or once that are afraid to put on the REV to set anchor in case there engine pulls the anchor back out are very must mistaken and when the wind start to blow don't be surprise when you drag .
    didn't take long for the experts to start telling you what you did wrong did it?

well, you asked for it, there is nothing more volatile than an anchor thread in these waters.

it seems to me that the fisher folk use their anchors more than raggies and where i am in portugal. they all use strange wire ones that look like an upturned chandelier with the ends cut off. none of the yachties have them.

i had engine failure up the guardiana river and threw out my swivel headed plough thingy. there was a pretty severe blow and the tide was running and needless to say the anchor dragged through the mud.

i threw out the kedge, a small danforth and that grabbed like hell.

the moral of the story is that there is no correct anchor, you need different types and hope you hit a rock. loosing it is the least of your worries. most importantly, look to see what the locals are using.
    Last edited by viago; 10-07-19 at 08:49.

I have the same problem when explaining why we rev slowly up to 2500rpm in reverse (56hp engine) when setting the anchor. Why would I do that if I have decent anchor gear? What about when people anchored for centuries with no engine?

My simplest answer is that I’m not testing the anchor, I’m testing the sea bed.

I’ve seen people hooked neatly on big clumps of week with anchor not touching the bottom, so anchored by weeds’ roots only, I’ve seen an anchor dug in a couple of inches nicely but no further as the sand is over a flat rock base and numerous times I’ve seen an anchor perched by a rapid drop off so a few feet of tugging would pull it off the edge. All those things mean that I will only sleep soundly if I have tested (as much as possIble) whether the seabed is capable of holding the anchor in a sudden squall.

Quote Originally Posted by viago View Post

i had engine failure up the guardiana river and threw out my swivel headed plough thingy. there was a pretty severe blow and the tide was running and needless to say the anchor dragged through the mud.

i threw out the kedge, a small danforth and that grabbed like hell.

the moral of the story is that there is no correct anchor, you need different types and hope you hit a rock. loosing it is the least of your worries. most importantly, look to see what the locals are using.
    +1 though I'd like to know why the local use inverted chandeliers - here they are used as they catch in coral (but they do remove the light bulb and crystal before use )

Jonathan
    Last edited by Neeves; 10-07-19 at 08:51.

Page 1 of 21 12345611 ... LastLast