Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Default Re: Anchor thread with a lesson

driver0606

Try this link for some information and better detail on the swivelling/sommersaulting angle. I would have included it with the above post, but I was in something of a rush.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...s_10981-1.html

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    driver0606

Try this link for some information and better detail on the swivelling/sommersaulting angle. I would have included it with the above post, but I was in something of a rush.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...s_10981-1.html

Jonathan
    Very useful, thanks for posting

Vic you windlass feels hot, undoubtedly - but I sincerely doubt the temperature at the breaker varies - 10m is a long run. The breaker reacts to significant temperature variation.

Apart from current weather, in Sydney (where its low single digits overnight) our weather is as hot as the Med. There are hundreds of installations of Lofrans windlass - just like yours, in the Med and in Oz - you appear to be the one with the Monday/Friday installation. I don't thinks its the climate.

Dom mentions - no need to take your windlass apart - it should be done every 2 years anyway - it should not be a burden. Given the issues you have - I, personally, would invest the time (it can be completed much more quickly than the time invested in typing these posts or in your case taking all these measurements . ) If its perfect - then its definitely the wiring/electrics. I can take our Maxwell apart in about 30 minutes - motor, gear box and shaft on deck - though it takes about an hour to re-assemble (as ours is under the deck, I have to hang upside down to effect all of this and applying Duralac is very messy)

Interesting the little difference in running the windlass under no load and under load. But under load - it would not take much and you would be well over load - you don't have much margin - but maybe that is normal? dom???

Jonathan

Don't disagee with what you say about servicing, but my reticence to strip in this case is basically twofold:

(i) if the problem can be traced to the unit, Lofrans, having been informed of the problem soon after purchase, may take more of an interest in solving this. Designers/manufacturers are inevitably best placed to solve something like this.

(ii) I sometimes find that detailed testing narrows down the hunt for the culprit and helps obviate the irritation of stripping and rebuilding, only to find the problem is still there

In summary: I'd redo all of the connections to a high standard, drop a new breaker in, and check in detail all of the terminations, stripping off heat shrink to have a good look at each one. When I say 'all', I mean from the batt +ve right around the houses back to the -ve. If still a prob, I'd contact Lofrans sending them a copy of all test dets including running from bow thruster batt. Then go from there.
    Last edited by dom; 15-07-19 at 08:29.

dom,

You have impeccable logic - but if the windlass is due a service (now or soon) I'd do it sooner rather than later.

I'm not as adept with electrics as you but am comfortable with stripping, the windlass. Give me the right spanner to disconnect the power cables and I could dismantle virtually by feel. I have bias

You did mention the influence of the alternator (which had slipped under my radar). Vic could simply run another series of tests with the engine off (though maybe he had done that, and I missed that as well). He must also have solar? He cannot generate power solely from his alternator.

I do agree that the first line of questioning should be with the manufacturer - they surely have a vested interest in a resolution to this (and any other problem) and must be the largest resource.

A vote for Maxwell's office in Brisbane - they bent over backwards to support me - primarily as our installation was 'unusual'.

I do recall, I think, that Vic said he would not be servicing till September - and I was conscious of this schedule when I made the post.

Jonathan

dom,

You have impeccable logic - but if the windlass is due a service (now or soon) I'd do it sooner rather than later.

...A vote for Maxwell's office in Brisbane...

Jonathan

Wait a second, we are in grave danger of reaching complete agreement on an anchor thread

Well I spoken to lofran this morning in Italy , and I have to say it was a bit of a fight to get an email address out of them who I could send my email too .

First point of call was for me to contact preachment , I explain I have and as I couldn't get the info I wanted from then , this why I am contracting the manufacturer who should be able to give me the info .

In the end I was told I needed to contact Lalizas who is the parent complay in Greece .
    So now I am waiting for a reply.

Unlucky for me it seen lofran isn't as forcoming as maxwell with help so far .
    Finger cross I get a better respond from there service department .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Well I spoken to lofran this morning in Italy , and I have to say it was a bit of a fight to get an email address out of them who I could send my email too .

First point of call was for me to contact preachment , I explain I have and as I couldn't get the info I wanted from then , this why I am contracting the manufacturer who should be able to give me the info .

In the end I was told I needed to contact Lalizas who is the parent complay in Greece .
    So now I am waiting for a reply.

Unlucky for me it seen lofran isn't as forcoming as maxwell with help so far .
    Finger cross I get a better respond from there service department .
    Just goes to show how little I know - I thought Lofrans were Italian and that's where the expertise would be.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Wait a second, we are in grave danger of reaching complete agreement on an anchor thread
    And long may it continue.

Jonathan

Just goes to show how little I know - I thought Lofrans were Italian and that's where the expertise would be.

Jonathan
    There are Italian but is seen there own by a Greek company , now I have lost all hope at getting it sorted .

Something I haven't mention which I not very I happy about .
    All the windlass I had in the pass the motor have terminal which you bolt your cables on .
    On the Cayman there three cables which are connected inside the motor (up down and neg ) these are really small cables admittedly they are only about half a mts long before being connected to the solenoid and the V- to the much larger cable that runs back to the batteries .
    But you would expect that there are big enough for the current run at a short distance other wise why made it in this way .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    There are Italian but is seen there own by a Greek company , now I have lost all hope at getting it sorted .

Something I haven't mention which I not very I happy about .
    All the windlass I had in the pass the motor have terminal which you bolt your cables on .
    On the Cayman there three cables which are connected inside the motor (up down and neg ) these are really small cables admittedly they are only about half a mts long before being connected to the solenoid and the V- to the much larger cable that runs back to the batteries .
    But you would expect that there are big enough for the current run at a short distance other wise why made it in this way .
    If you do elect to increase the size of the main circuit breaker it is important that all the power cables are large enough to carry the required current. Voltage drop will not be a great issue over the short distance you describe (providing the connections are OK) but current carying capacity does need to be checked.

If you can estimate the wire size (this can be difficult if the conductor cannot be seen) I will look up the tables to determine the maximium safe current and maximium circuit breaker size.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast