Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Default Re: Anchor thread with a lesson

Quote Originally Posted by noelex View Post
    If you do elect to increase the size of the main circuit breaker it is important that all the power cables are large enough to carry the required current. Voltage drop will not be a great issue over the short distance you describe (providing the connections are OK) but current carying capacity does need to be checked.

If you can estimate the wire size (this can be difficult if the conductor cannot be seen) I will look up the tables to determine the maximium safe current and maximium circuit breaker size.
    @noelex wire size of the smaller cables that goes from the motor to Solenoid?
    Or the cables from the batteries,
    Cables from batteries 50mm Sq
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

5mm the three wires coming out of the windlass
    Calliper over the wires .
    Not the conduit.
    Quick reply I know it's blowing 36kts and I got nothing better to do .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 15-07-19 at 11:20.

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Calliper over the wires .
    Not the conduit.
    Wow, 20mm^2 cable, and I'm assuming you mean the conductor inside?

I agree with you, that's definitely on the small side, albeit just within spec!

Here's a link to recommended cable sizing you might find helpful:

http://www.aeicables.co.uk/literatur...entRatings.pdf
    Last edited by dom; 15-07-19 at 11:23.

By 5mm do you mean the outside cable diameter is 5mm, the copper conductor itself is 5mm in diameter, or the estimated cable size is 5 square millimeters, or something else? Cable size can be confusing so it is important to understand correctly.
    Edit:
    I now see your edit. So that is a copper conductor with a dismeter of 5mm. I will check the tables.
    Last edited by noelex; 15-07-19 at 11:27.

If you do elect to increase the size of the main circuit breaker it is important that all the power cables are large enough to carry the required current. Voltage drop will not be a great issue over the short distance you describe (providing the connections are OK) but current carying capacity does need to be checked.

If you can estimate the wire size (this can be difficult if the conductor cannot be seen) I will look up the tables to determine the maximium safe current and maximium circuit breaker size.
    Though notwithstanding cable size, Viv should under no circumstances exceed the spec recommended by Lofrans without their explicit approval.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Wow, 20mm^2 cable, and I'm assuming you mean the conductor inside?

I agree with you, that's definitely on the small side, albeit just within spec!

Here's a link to recommended cable sizing you might find helpful:

http://www.aeicables.co.uk/literatur...entRatings.pdf
    Just about manage to get the solenoid out far enough to get a photo of cables
    Attached Images Attached Images

By 5mm do you mean the outside cable diameter is 5mm, the copper conductor itself is 5mm in diameter, or the estimated cable size is 5 square millimeters, or something else? Cable size can be confusing so it is important to understand correctly.
    Edit:
    I now see your edit. So that is a copper conductor with a dismeter of 5mm. I will check the tables.
    Yes the copper wire not the casing .

Just about manage to get the solenoid out far enough to get a photo of cables
    I see what you mean! And it's a bit silly in that, notwithstanding the short run to the solenoid, it makes sense to hand off the device to the boat's cabling with the least voltage drop possible. While not a show stopper, those cables will cause a needless c.0.15V (1.3%) voltage drop.

BTW from what I can see the connections look spotless But what are those small brown and earth(?) cables in the centre wrapped in yellow heatshrink?
    Last edited by dom; 15-07-19 at 12:07.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    I see what you mean! And it's a bit silly in that, notwithstanding the short run to the solenoid, it makes sense to hand off the device to the boat's cabling with the least voltage drop possible. While not a show stopper, those cables will cause a needless c.0.15V (1.3%) voltage drop.

BTW from what I can see the connections look spotless But what are those small brown and earth(?) cables in the centre wrapped in yellow heatshrink?
    All connection have been clean and checked over and over ,
    Hold my hands up ele isn't really my thing . Most of the general stuff I find with and I sure if this problem was straight forward I would had sorted it by now . But seems not . Question Don you worked out that cable was 20mm sq , how did you come to that , don't you times the cable to get the Sq in which case it be 25 mm sq ? Always willing to lean

That is small. Around 20 mm squared.

The current carrying capacity of a single wire like this, not in the engine room, and fitted with 75C insulation is around 110A. This is for a free conductor in air.

Derating for a wire bundle gives 94A. This is not in the engine room. The temperature inside the windlass housing on deck in an aluminium enclosure will be high and I would use the engine room numbers which assumes a higher ambient temperature.

A bundled 75C insulated wire in the engine room is rated at around 70A. Many marine wires are produced with a higher rated insulation. If you can find any markings on the cable that would be a help. If we assume the wire has a better 105C insulation rating the number with the above criteria rises to around 97A. Circuit protection devices can have a rating above the wire rating. Up to 150% is permitted in some cases.

So the above gives you a comprehensive guide to the possible rating of this unknown wire.

Given the uncertainties I would be uncomfortable recommending anything over your existing 100A circuit breaker, but the guidelines could be interpreted to permit a slightly higher rating manly depending on the unknown insulation of the wire.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast