Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Blackwater to Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Marmalade View Post
    You may wish to observe the navigation marks. Don't sail into Thirslet spit, Cocum Hills, Colne Bar, the Eagle etc. the buoys will keep you safe...
    Not forgetting the Harwich Shelf buoy inside the harbour. A lot of yachts have done so over the years and spent some time regretting it, as you will be coming with the ebb the tide will be lowish when you get there, so very important!

Quote Originally Posted by Leighb View Post
    Not forgetting the Harwich Shelf buoy inside the harbour. A lot of yachts have done so over the years and spent some time regretting it, as you will be coming with the ebb the tide will be lowish when you get there, so very important!
    Not that it's an excuse to miss the Shelf buoy, but if you follow my advice to go for LW at Stone Banks, the flood will be set by the time you get to the Shelf.

Peter.
    Last edited by PeterWright; 12-07-19 at 20:08.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWright View Post
    Not that it's an excuse to miss the Shelf buoy, but if you follow my advice to go for LW at Stone Banks, the flood will br set by the time you get to the Shelf.

Peter.
    There won't be much water over the shelf in the hour it might take from Stone Banks. I regard it as a half-tide passage, though I will happily cut inside the buoy.

North of the Naze, the whole area is pretty flat and although there are shallows there aren't any that should catch you out if you have a sounder on.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

The shelf is seductive as you see the harbour opening out before you!
    I always think...
    Stone banks - Languard Point and follow the yacht track. I admit I cut the corners and trespass in the deep water channel but not when anything's moving in there!
    You can flirt with the shallows as much as your nerves allow... when we're day sailing we play fast and loose with the depth. At the end of a long sail, when you're tired, I find following the channel leaves the brain free to do other things!

Quote Originally Posted by Marmalade View Post
    The shelf is seductive as you see the harbour opening out before you!
    I always think...
    Stone banks - Languard Point and follow the yacht track. I admit I cut the corners and trespass in the deep water channel but not when anything's moving in there!
    You can flirt with the shallows as much as your nerves allow... when we're day sailing we play fast and loose with the depth. At the end of a long sail, when you're tired, I find following the channel leaves the brain free to do other things!
    I must be something of a flirt in that case. The only place around there that I am cautious of is just off the Naze, where depths can change by nearly a metre in a short distance, presumably due to wave/current action on the bottom. The other easy short cut is to No 2 buoy into the Backwaters coming from the south, which you can do at all but low water, when you wouldn't be there anyway. West of No 2 is a bit shallower but passable near HW.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I think this Saturday you will find the wind right on the nose so allow plenty of time.
    If you are late off Walton pier you'll find the flood rushing around the Naze at quite a rate. I would leave as early a poss. as it would be better to be off Dover Court early rather than latter. I've done the trip both ways in the Drascombe several times tho as I haven't a lot of weight to punch upwind I don't suppose I would bother this weekend. (unless had to)

For those interested in my original query the wind over tide was a non issue both on the way up and the way back.

I had a lovely trip, albeit longer in the way home due to fight the tide, but I knew this from my passage planning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12