Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Rewiring small boat, have I got this right?

Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    I have a mariner 6, but last time I looked a charging coil was around £1k, just not worth it.
    Thats outrageous

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    That's correct Steve.

Generally speaking, twin core is more expensive and pretty bulky when several runs are used. It's normal to use mostly single core cable for a job like this. Obviously things like the mast light should be 2 core.

There is no -VE connection to the isolator switch, you nailed it in the first paragraph above.
    Re single/twin core, I didn't see an option for single core on 12v planet, and I don't know why lamps are obviously twin core. Can you enlighten me? And tell me which items can use single core and what else would need double? Don't all my items have +ve and -ve connections? Does using single core mean just one cable is needed from , say depth log? Or does it mean two single core cables, one from the switch box and one to the bus bar?
    Sorry, I need this stuff in words of one syllable.

Re single/twin core, I didn't see an option for single core on 12v planet, and I don't know why lamps are obviously twin core. Can you enlighten me? And tell me which items can use single core and what else would need double? Don't all my items have +ve and -ve connections? Does using single core mean just one cable is needed from , say depth log? Or does it mean two single core cables, one from the switch box and one to the bus bar?
    Sorry, I need this stuff in words of one syllable.
    You want twin core up the mast.

All of the stuff inside can be single core. It's cheaper and tidier to use a pair of single wires, a handful of twin core cables quickly gets bulky. Each device will need positive and negative. Also, if you have a few devices close together you can run a single negative cable to them all, making sure it's rated for the combined current draw. In fact, in an installation where there are a few devices, say wind, depth, GPS etc, that could all be powered from a single switch, it might make sense to run a pair of cable close to those instruments, to a small fuse board, then take a pair of cables from suitable individual fuses. All saves cable and is tidier.

Cable on 12v Planet https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/singl...all-cable.html
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Perfect, thanks paul.

Thanks all, based on what you have told me, here is my proposed circuit diagram:

wiringdiag-bethfran-1.jpg

Any issues with this?

couple of quick questions on it. Is the inline fuse ok there? or better before the isolator (the distance between isolator and battery is under 12") and based on the kit I'm wiring up, is 20a a bit on the low side? Would 30a be better?

I have read about having seperate terminal blocks wired to the switch box, seems like extra faff & space, is this necessary?

I'm thinking 1mm single core tinned for the gps/depth/compass/usb/cig lighters; 1.5mm single core for the vhf and stereo and 1.5mm twin core for the autopilot and the plotter. Would you change any of those configurations?

Last question, if I add an extra solar panel, do I add another mppt controller? or can one controller handle 2 different solar panels?

Thanks all, based on what you have told me, here is my proposed circuit diagram:

wiringdiag-bethfran-1.jpg

Any issues with this?

couple of quick questions on it. Is the inline fuse ok there? or better before the isolator (the distance between isolator and battery is under 12") and based on the kit I'm wiring up, is 20a a bit on the low side? Would 30a be better?
    Looks OK in general. The fuse should be close to the battery, it then protects all of the cable and the switch. If you are using 16mm cable, fit a 100a midi fuse. It might seem over the top for you equipment, but it'll never blow unless there is a short in the cable, the cable is rated at 110a and the fuse is only there to protect that cable and the switch.

Also, fit a fuse close to the battery for the solar controller, again, rate it for the cable.

I have read about having seperate terminal blocks wired to the switch box, seems like extra faff & space, is this necessary?
    Not usually, depends on the switch panel.

I'm thinking 1mm single core tinned for the gps/depth/compass/usb/cig lighters; 1.5mm single core for the vhf and stereo and 1.5mm twin core for the autopilot and the plotter. Would you change any of those configurations?
    Sensible choice with the twin core. Nothing wrong with using 1mm and 1.5mm, but, it might well work out cheaper to buy a full roll of red and black 1.5mm, especially as you plan to do some work on the Longbow. I generally use 1.5mm for everything up the that rating, then go up to 2.5mm for stuff that 1.5mm isn't man enough for.

Last question, if I add an extra solar panel, do I add another mppt controller? or can one controller handle 2 different solar panels?
    If the controller and the wiring to the battery is rated for the combined output of the two panels, wire them in parallel to the one controller.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Thank you, will do as you suggest. Should stand me in good stead for doing the longbow

Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    Thats outrageous
    It is isn't it! Not sure what I was looking at, but your comment made me look again quickly, and saw charging coils on ebay for £20! So messaged a local marine engine mechanic and he said charging could be added to the outboard for £130 if the flywheel didn't need changing, £230 if it did. That puts a whole new complexion on it! So thank you for bringing it up on the thread and making me revisit it.

I wont do it now, no budget for it, but it will go on her treat list for the future, along with new sails

It is isn't it! Not sure what I was looking at, but your comment made me look again quickly, and saw charging coils on ebay for £20! So messaged a local marine engine mechanic and he said charging could be added to the outboard for £130 if the flywheel didn't need changing, £230 if it did. That puts a whole new complexion on it! So thank you for bringing it up on the thread and making me revisit it.

I wont do it now, no budget for it, but it will go on her treat list for the future, along with new sails
    The charging you get from a charging coil and rectifier on an outboard engine is usually pretty pathetic.

Usually very few amps unless the engine is running at a moderate RPM or more, even then not many and very few Ah unless you are running the engine for a good few hours. Ideally you only run the engine for a short while and at little more than a fast idle to get on or off the mooring / in or out of the marina etc.

My outboard, being the sail version, came with battery charging as standard but I still had to take the battery home periodically for recharging until I invested in a small solar panel

My advice would be not to waste money on retro-fitting a charging kit but to invest in more solar panels

Fair points, and I'll see how I get on in real life operating with solar panels. But I do quite long trips in the wee boat when she is in use, and I've often puttered along under outboard for 10 hour crossings on calm days, so for a hundred odd quid, and with limited deck space for panels, it's still something that might be worth doing for me. And if it saves a night in a marina & a pub cos I have enough power to anchor somewhere quiet, it would soon pay for itself

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast