Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cetrek 727 NMEA interface to chartplotter

I have been trying to connect a Standard Horizon chart plotter to a Cetrek 727 autopilot. The Cetrek works fine using the compass option and while it registers a data input ( NMEA 0183 ) from the chart plotter it comes up with an error message and beep which needs a shutdown to stop it and restart.
    I have checked that the required NMEA sentences are there and that the earth is separate from the NMEA -ve.
    Does anyone have experience of this connection?
    Broom owners club..... www.broomowners.com

Default Re: Cetrek 727 NMEA interface to chartplotter

PM sent

I will have a look back though my notes as I have a 727 which is rigged up for PC steering using NMEA 0183.
    Electrical & heating engineer, Diesel remaps, Custom panels
    Southwold & Ipswich Yards

Quote Originally Posted by matthewriches View Post
    I will have a look back though my notes as I have a 727 which is rigged up for PC steering using NMEA 0183.
    I’ve dug out a pdf manual for the 727 it took me loads of googling to find

https://www.dropbox.com/s/st4tu7g15k...anual.pdf?dl=0

Thankyou all. The struggle continues.....

I vaguely remember trying to send 0183 signals to a 727 from a laptop running Opencpn through a usb2NMEA0183 cable back in 2012 and failing.
    IIRC you need a special connector on the 727, do you have it?
    also I assume you sent the signal using two wires from the plotter to the 727, theory says to separate the v- but I guess you could try joining them and see if the message comes through, no?
    have you got any other means of testing the validity of the sentence being sent from the plotter?

V.

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    I vaguely remember trying to send 0183 signals to a 727 from a laptop running Opencpn through a usb2NMEA0183 cable back in 2012 and failing.
    IIRC you need a special connector on the 727, do you have it?
    also I assume you sent the signal using two wires from the plotter to the 727, theory says to separate the v- but I guess you could try joining them and see if the message comes through, no?
    have you got any other means of testing the validity of the sentence being sent from the plotter?

V.
    I connected direct to the control unit using the same method as the compass and as given in the manual.
    I checked the wiring and I have two wires from the chartplotter. When correctly connected a red LED flickers to show data is present and any other connection does not illuminate the LED.
    I get error messages but I cannot verify the sentence from the plotter. I can select from many different sentences and went for RMB and XTE as RMB on its own gives the data I think I need, the XTE can't hurt!
    As far as I can tell the plotter works properly and I assume its output is clean, the problem seems to be with the 727 which works properly with the compass input.
    How could I check the sentence from the plotter?

Quote Originally Posted by Montemar View Post
    I connected direct to the control unit using the same method as the compass and as given in the manual.
    sorry, yes, I mean directly inside the unit, I was confused when opening it to find some odd looking connectors that you cannot avoid using, I assume your board was populated with the right connectors then.

Quote Originally Posted by Montemar View Post
    I checked the wiring and I have two wires from the chartplotter. When correctly connected a red LED flickers to show data is present and any other connection does not illuminate the LED.
    I get error messages but I cannot verify the sentence from the plotter. I can select from many different sentences and went for RMB and XTE as RMB on its own gives the data I think I need, the XTE can't hurt!
    As far as I can tell the plotter works properly and I assume its output is clean, the problem seems to be with the 727 which works properly with the compass input.
    How could I check the sentence from the plotter?
    red led flickers on the 727? don't remember that, but it's some years now!
    OK, assuming this means the comms are fine you have to pass the second hurdle that the data sent are understood by the a/p...

I'm afraid the only way to really test is to use a device that reads the sentences sent by the plotter...
    A usb2nmea0183 device connected on a laptop and a terminal program would help

But you also need to be sure you know which sentences the 727 really needs or really reads, can you find that???

V.

727 Manual says it can process:
    APA, APB, BOD, BWW, XTE, VWR, RMB. The best ones are APA, APB, RMB and the latter is what I have selected as the chartplotter output.
    These four have info on cross track error, heading to waypoint, waypoint number.

Thanks to all who made contributions to resolving my problem.
    I finally found the reason under the "wrong" section in the Owners Manual.
    The 727 can use 0183A and 0183B. 0183A is the normal standard 0183 and 0183B is non-standard and the explanation for this is under Wind Control Adjustments!
    Inevitably my data format had been set to 0183B presumably to suit the old Decca Loran system back in 1991.
    I set it to normal 0183, put a course in the chartplotter, set the 727 to the course and it worked.
    I hope this may be of use to other 727 owners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast