Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: First they came for the maintenance and the whisky...

Chnese and Indian clothes are cheap because there are no ... as in none .... environmental protection standards that we would recognise. Remeber thwt 80% pf oceanic plastic comes from four rivers in Asia. So when you bleat on about recycling and reducing your carbon footprint whilst buying goods from Asia.... you are fooling yourself.

But you don’t fool me.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    Chnese and Indian clothes are cheap because there are no ... as in none .... environmental protection standards that we would recognise. Remeber thwt 80% pf oceanic plastic comes from four rivers in Asia. So when you bleat on about recycling and reducing your carbon footprint whilst buying goods from Asia.... you are fooling yourself.

But you don’t fool me.
    Which was part of my point.

Simply increasing regulatory controls, whether its environmental or heath and safety, simply pushes the problem somewhere else - it does not remove it. I note an increase in imports from countries other than China, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh are examples - China for some items is becoming less competitive (for a variety of reasons) - its a moving target.

Whilst WE have a throw away culture (whether bottles or 'T' shirts) - things will not change.

But moving the issues to '3rd world' countries (China a 3rd World country??) is not the answer - but I don't attempt to suggest I have an answer.

Jonathan

But you don’t fool me.
    Maybe we don't fool you but:

Regulatory control is one reason many galvanisers and foundries have shut down (and/or sold their equipment offshore, Parsons I think is an example) - where do you buy your anchor, your chain? Where is your computer made? Would you pay extra to have these items made in Europe.

Its not easy being green - and a I think you do source much of your 'consumables' in China - you are fooled.

You might not think a Mac is a consumable - Apple do - and expect us to buy a new model every few years. Add to that sails and we sail yachts for which no sensible disposal has been developed...

Being Really Green is virtually impossible - so don't bleat on.

Jonath

Purely coincidental:

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/...ts-this-summer
    Last edited by Neeves; 17-07-19 at 07:09.

Sometimes its better to just get going and change course later rather than divving about finding excuses to not do anything at all.
    We NEED to start doing something right NOW. Ok, so some recycling goes to landfill, lets fix that later, but do start segregating (well, I hope continue segregating) your waste, its going to be good practice. Do whatever you can, it need not be perfect, it dosent need to be perfect, nature can put up with a lot, but not the current total. So, yes, tiny us can make a difference, it is only required to lift the straw that is breaking the camel's back.
    And, if you think the system isnt good enough, DO SOMETHING about it, dont sit there bleating like a teenager told to tidy their room.
    Do your own recycling, turn plastic into diesel, compost, grow your own.

Note this: If not enough is done then the result will be a life that makes the current greenies hard labour look like a summer holiday. Wise up, green up or some hippy will park a pink boat on your lawn.
    FUCTIFANO

I know people who claim to be eco friendly.. they put out bags and bags of separated waste and say it is "green"

Far better to not buy rubbish to throw away in separated bags.

Dougal,

You are correct and I hope we all do our bit - sadly it is obvious our bit is totally insufficient and we contribute by buying that Chinese anchor (rather than a Knox anchor). It needs vision, or persuasion of 'influencers', whether they live in Instagram, the White House or.... this forum. Doing our bit might make us feel good (and superior) - there needs to be more.

But being green increasingly demands cash, buying that anchor made in Scotland or a UK built yacht - it is a steep hill - and I don't note many recommending a Knox anchor etc etc (on the basis it will be made under strict environmental controls).

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    Maybe we don't fool you but:

Regulatory control is one reason many galvanisers and foundries have shut down (and/or sold their equipment offshore, Parsons I think is an example) - where do you buy your anchor, your chain? Where is your computer made? Would you pay extra to have these items made in Europe.

Jonath
    That's the whole point I am making.. By simply imposing regulations on UK producers the idiot department in the environmental lobby has merely offshored the pollution to places with even lower environmental standards than in this country.. and add to that the environmental cost of shipping everything from Asia. The overall result is even worse global pollution than accepting less than perfect local standards.

If we want to protect the environment we need to apply import tariffs that level out the cost advantages of those countries that simply pollute the environment. But that won't happen because it is inconvenient for greenies to face reality.
    Last edited by Tomahawk; 17-07-19 at 07:30.

As very few leisure sailors are out when temperatures are low straight rapeseed oil should work nicely. Zero carbon?

...... Far better to not buy rubbish to throw away in separated bags.
    +1
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I know people who claim to be eco friendly.. they put out bags and bags of separated waste and say it is "green"

Far better to not buy rubbish to throw away in separated bags.
    Very true. That separated rubbish is sold to processors in Southeast Asia and yes most of it ends up in the sea.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast