Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Keswick, Cumbria
    Posts
    1,816

    Default any idea of current draw when ipad & iphone are charging?

    simultaneously, through a unit like this?

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-...825268977.html

    Is it as simple as 1a and 2.1 amps per hr?

    Ta

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Boat - Clyde, Home - Overlooking the Tamar
    Posts
    4,041

    Default Re: any idea of current draw when ipad & iphone are charging?

    I reckon my IPad Pro draws 400ma when charged via a 12v USB socket charger. It is a slow charge though, I think I need a higher capacity USB charger to fast charge. I researched the size of the battery in the IPad and was surprised to find it is about 9,400mAh, so 9.4 Ah. Quite a lot. My solar produces about 9A on a sunny day - so one hour’s worth of solar energy to charge from flat to fully charged.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    2,282

    Default Re: any idea of current draw when ipad & iphone are charging?

    Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    simultaneously, through a unit like this?

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-...825268977.html

    Is it as simple as 1a and 2.1 amps per hr?

    Ta
    Yes. Simple.

    I had three and binned them all as they can cause rf interference. Also the led light is bright and a pain. I just installed the basic 12v socket and used a good quality flush usb socket adapter like this...

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-Ch...%2C147&sr=8-46
    Last edited by ctva; 11-07-19 at 18:01.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    2,660

    Default Re: any idea of current draw when ipad & iphone are charging?

    Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    Is it as simple as 1a and 2.1 amps per hr?
    "amps per hr" is meaningless, despite how often it is written in YM. It may be a mishearing of "ampere-hours" which is the product of amps draw multiplied (so no "per") by number of hours.

    Mike.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Keswick, Cumbria
    Posts
    1,816

    Default Re: any idea of current draw when ipad & iphone are charging?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robih View Post
    I reckon my IPad Pro draws 400ma when charged via a 12v USB socket charger. It is a slow charge though, I think I need a higher capacity USB charger to fast charge. I researched the size of the battery in the IPad and was surprised to find it is about 9,400mAh, so 9.4 Ah. Quite a lot. My solar produces about 9A on a sunny day - so one hour’s worth of solar energy to charge from flat to fully charged.
    Surely if it is drawing 400ma and its 9400mahr battery, it will take 20odd hours from flat to full??

    Anyway, thats bye the bye, it's the actual current draw that I need to mitigate that I'm looking for. 400ma, anyone reckon thats what their phones and ipads are drawing when plugged in aboard?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Boat - Clyde, Home - Overlooking the Tamar
    Posts
    4,041

    Default Re: any idea of current draw when ipad & iphone are charging?

    Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    Surely if it is drawing 400ma and its 9400mahr battery, it will take 20odd hours from flat to full??

    Anyway, thats bye the bye, it's the actual current draw that I need to mitigate that I'm looking for. 400ma, anyone reckon thats what their phones and ipads are drawing when plugged in aboard?
    Yes, perhaps I badly worded that. What I was trying to express was the considerable amount of power that an IPad Pro consumes - one hours worth of all my solar production - not that I could charge the iPad at 9A! That would probably cause it to melt, as you say it would drip feed in over a much longer time period.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    36,685

    Default Re: any idea of current draw when ipad & iphone are charging?

    A lot of modern kit will only charge from a high current USB adaptor. at least 1.3 A at 5V.

    So assuming it's a reasonably efficeint switcher, something like 0.6A will be drawn from the 12V.
    Some USB charger sockets are rated at 2A now. My phone's adaptor is 2A @5v and it won't charge at all from an old skool 500mA USB adaptor. That's a Nokia not I-aanything.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: any idea of current draw when ipad & iphone are charging?

    I had the mobile on charge nothing else on. The mass bm1 thingymabob said I was drawing 0.6amp

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    805

    Default Re: any idea of current draw when ipad & iphone are charging?

    My iPad Pro draws about 0.7amp when over 50% charged but when less can draw 1.5 amps, my laptop port at 5his will not charge it, my iPhone is a little more friendly and seems to draw a max of 1,1 amp when low battery. On the boat both plug into 2x 2.1 amp usb power socket

    Both draw enough to kick my battery charger out of standby straight away

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    19,134

    Default Re: any idea of current draw when ipad & iphone are charging?

    Quote Originally Posted by mjcoon View Post
    "amps per hr" is meaningless, despite how often it is written in YM.
    I used to work with large superconducting magnets which had to be tamed up and down slowly to avoid accidental "quenches" ( field increases to quickly, windings move, friction heats up windings, superconductivity goes, stored magnetic energy dumped as heat, liquid helium boils off, everybody talks with squeaky voices). The power supplies therefore had labels on them specifying the maximum permissible amps per hour.

    This may not, of course, be the sense in which YM (mis)uses the term.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to