Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default SYH to Brightlingsea(and back)

Hi all.
    A few weeks ago I asked for advice about sailing into and spending the night in Hamford water and the advice was top rate and appreciated and we had a great weekend.
    We are now planning our next slightly more ambitious sail from SYH to Brightlingsea for a long weekend over the bank holiday ( weather permitting) I have not looked at tides etc yet but if anyone has any advice it would be welcome.
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: SYH to Brightlingsea(and back)

hi Denek,

I live in Burnham-on- Crouch but my boat lives in SYH. My advice for your intended passage is to aim for LW at Stone Banks or thereabouts in both directions. This way you will work your tides in the Wallet and at both ends of the passage, There should also be more than sufficient water at the Spitway unless you draw well over 6 ft. or move at well over 6 kts. You can do more elegant calcs, but for me this rule of thumb works several times every year.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWright View Post
    hi Denek,

I live in Burnham-on- Crouch but my boat lives in SYH. My advice for your intended passage is to aim for LW at Stone Banks or thereabouts in both directions. This way you will work your tides in the Wallet and at both ends of the passage, There should also be more than sufficient water at the Spitway unless you draw well over 6 ft. or move at well over 6 kts. You can do more elegant calcs, but for me this rule of thumb works several times every year.

Peter
    SYH to Brightlingsea

The tide rises to the South
    and Falls to the north.

Leave SYH at LW (or thereabouts)
    Take the tide to Brightlingsea.
    Arrive HW (ish)
    Depending on how fast you are and the hight of the tide you can save yourself a whole mile and cut the corner at Colne Bar.
    The harbour staff at Brightlingsea ch68 are extremely helpful. They come out in a boat and escourt you to your berth. Call them as just before you drop sails outside the “gate" and again when you can see the moorings.

CYC has a lovely view of the harbour
    The University club is cheaper
    The Yachtsmans does good food
    The legendary Kovalam is now deceased
    The Rosebud is a bit of a walk but the food is very good. (the chef is ex posh London)
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Thanks guys. We draw 1.5 so should be fine. I have never been to Brightlingsea by land or water so looking forward to it.
    Just hope the weather is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    The legendary Kovalam is now deceased
    Whaaaat? Really? Disaster!! Was hoping to get there later this month, always looked forward to it when we visit Brightlingsea. Might the closure be temporary?
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

The harbour publishes some useful pilotage info on their website https://www.brightlingseaharbour.org...gation-advice/
    If you follow that you’ll avoid the spit off BSC.
    The harbour has been dredged to a target depth of 1m below CD in entrance channel and 0.75m below CD at pontoons. Bathymetric survey is on the weblink; charts haven’t yet been updated with this survey info. Bottom is soft mud, so on lowest tides keels may settle into this.

Take the tide down the wallet (Stone banks at LW is good advice)
    Don't go through (or anywhere near) the spitway
    Obey buoyage so you don't hit Colne Bar
    Call Brightlingsea harbour on 68 as you come in - they'll normally show you to a berth.

We go to B'sea a couple of times each year but at £30 for no water and no electric, Pyefleet is quiet and free. And with no Kovalam - even more enticing!

High water is later at Brightlingsea, so you have all the time in the world to get there. If you have LW around Harwich, there will be plenty of water over the Colne Bar and it is unnecessary to go all the way round the buoy much after half tide. Near HW you will see boats rounding the point very close inshore but I usually cross about halfway to the buoy. The bar is very hard, so don't try it anywhere near LW; I know someone who crossed at full pelt in a Carter 30 and came off worst. The usual course would be via the North Eagle. This area can be quite confusing visually with little to see around you, so just make sure you know where you are.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Cantata View Post
    Whaaaat? Really? Disaster!! Was hoping to get there later this month, always looked forward to it when we visit Brightlingsea. Might the closure be temporary?
    Afraid ....no

But there is another curry house up Tower street which is very good..
    Although the waiter hasn't read any books on customer service
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast