Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: SYH to Brightlingsea(and back)

Quote Originally Posted by Athene V30 View Post
    If you are arriving at Brightlingsea near HW why are people bothering about going to the Colne Bar buoy? With 3 or 4 metres rise of tide I never bother about it.
    They are of a like mind with an old boy that we helped take his 40-foot shallow draft boat from Wivenhoe to the Royal Harwich many years ago (Jolene). We left before HW and went round the Bar buoy and it was all we could do to prevent him going round the Medusa. He was reputed to insist that guests slept with lifejackets to hand when anchored in the Pyefleet.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Athene V30 View Post
    If you are arriving at Brightlingsea near HW why are people bothering about going to the Colne Bar buoy? With 3 or 4 metres rise of tide I never bother about it.
    I know you're right - but having crunched Colne Bar on the way back from Holland a while back - whilst cutting inside... I now tend to go around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmalade View Post
    I know you're right - but having crunched Colne Bar on the way back from Holland a while back - whilst cutting inside... I now tend to go around it.
    We were based in B'sea for several years and when conditions of wind and tide allow cutting right in by Colne Point was the usual route when returning from the Norhern Lands. I used to target LW at the Naze that usually gave enough to get over Colne Bar and a bit of +ve tide to shove you down the Wallet.

We made it to Ha'Penny pier today..
    Reverse trip tomorrow (Sunday)
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Love halfpenny pier. Did you visit the Alma? We were there a few weeks ago.

But. of course..
    Rib eye steak that melted in the mouth.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Going straight over the bar can be a good shortcut for the Blackwater if you do it approaching HW, too.

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    They are of a like mind with an old boy that we helped take his 40-foot shallow draft boat from Wivenhoe to the Royal Harwich many years ago (Jolene). We left before HW and went round the Bar buoy and it was all we could do to prevent him going round the Medusa. He was reputed to insist that guests slept with lifejackets to hand when anchored in the Pyefleet.
    I once left the Orwell (about 20 years ago) and there was sea mist at the mouth of the river. Foolishly I went for the Medusa as a waypoint. As I got there the mist cleared and it was like Piccadilly Circus. Yachts everywhere.* Never again.

*actually 'yachts everywhere' would be Earl's Court, but you get the idea.

Thanks for all the advice. We are planning this for the bank holiday weekend weather permitting although we are also moving house over the next few weeks so I hope that does not make us change our plans. Anyway thanks again.

So I think we are going for this trip this a Friday. Wind looks very light though and not a great direction but going to give it a shot and test my navigation skills. From the look of the wind could be a long trip��

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast